Alkalinity....should I be worried. - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Alkalinity....should I be worried.

Need some advice on my tap water parameters. I have a whole home filter system which removes the chlorine and other harmful things from the water so I stopped using my RO/DI unit. I was curious tonight, so I took a testing strip that we use in our pool and tested my tank water and then my holding tank water I use for top-offs and WC. Very much to my surprise, the Alkalinity in my holding tank water was off the chart!! My PH was around 7.8, hardness was 0 and chlorine was 0. Should I be worried about such a high Alkalinity and if so, I do I lower it?

Current Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If your local water just uses chlorine, you may just want to let buckets sit overnight to off-gas. Chloramine is more complicated. I was happy to learn that my local water district just uses chlorine.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

And to note....Alkalinity in the tank is around 120ppm and PH is 7.2. Also, this is a 125gal tank.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
If your local water just uses chlorine, you may just want to let buckets sit overnight to off-gas. Chloramine is more complicated. I was happy to learn that my local water district just uses chlorine.
I am not worried about my chlorine. My filter system removes that. It is my very high Alkalinity that I am concerned with. I have a 55 gal tank that I use for water storage for my 125.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My Vermont water is about is 7.4 to 7.6 depending on photosynthesis (monitored by Apex), and my neo shrimp, tetras, danios, and otos like it.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
My Vermont water is about is 7.4 to 7.6 depending on photosynthesis (monitored by Apex), and my neo shrimp, tetras, danios, and otos like it.
That great but it is not my PH that I'm worried about, it is my Alkalinity.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am not an expert on KH and GH. Can you share both of those please? I just ran a test and I see KH about 30, and GH about 20.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Very much to my surprise, the Alkalinity in my holding tank water was off the chart!!
I'm not sure why you are even testing alkalinity?

Is there some specific problem you think your alkalinity is causing? I did a quick search and it said the recommended range for drinking water is 30 to 400 ppm. Why is yours at 120 ppm alarming?

And who knows, maybe I am missing something. But IMO, of all the things to worry about in a planted tank, alkalinity is not one of them.

And curious what is your KH??
Blue Ridge Reef and gnovince like this.

---
---
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I am not an expert on KH and GH. Can you share both of those please? I just ran a test and I see KH about 30, and GH about 20.
I am getting actual aquarium test strips Friday. The testing strips I was using was from our pool which measures in ppm and mine was off the color code. I will test Friday and let you know.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Quote:
Very much to my surprise, the Alkalinity in my holding tank water was off the chart!!

Is there some specific problem you think your alkalinity is causing? I did a quick search and it said the recommended range for drinking water is 30 to 400 ppm. Why is yours at 120 ppm alarming?

And who knows, maybe I am missing something. But IMO, of all the things to worry about in a planted tank, alkalinity is not one of them.

Fish death is the reason. The 120ppm in the tank is fine but water storage tank for water changes is over 240, probably closer to the 400ppm. That much difference between tank water and new water has to be a shock to the fish.
I am getting actual aquarium test strips this Friday so I can test for KH. I found a calculator that converts ppm to doh and when I convert 300ppm it is like 17dKH.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
I am getting actual aquarium test strips Friday. The testing strips I was using was from our pool which measures in ppm and mine was off the color code. I will test Friday and let you know.
Test strips are not very reliable.

I would get API kit for KH, GH.

Bump:
Quote:
Fish death is the reason.
Well let's see what your tests show.

In general, loads of ways to have fish deaths, but high KH or KH swing is not usually one of them.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

---
---
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ordered the liquid test kit too.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

Now I am lost, is not alkalinity and dKH one in the same?

120ppm alkalinity = 6.7dKH???

120ppm is not alarming but could be lower.
400ppm and I would be scared!
Blue Ridge Reef and Hendy8888 like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I am not worried about my chlorine. My filter system removes that. It is my very high Alkalinity that I am concerned with. I have a 55 gal tank that I use for water storage for my 125.
I think the hobbyist question is: should you bypass your home water filter system for your aquariums?

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I received my test kits today and my KH of tap water is 15 and my tank water is at 10. My GH is 0. My concern is now not only the KH level but my nitrates were very high! So I did a 50% water change, cleaned my one filter that skims the surface, and changed my Purigen reactors. After a couple hours, no change in my nitrate levels.
For my KH, I am going to go back to using my RO/DI unit and see if that makes a difference. Does anyone have an idea to help bring down my nitrates??

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode