Alkalinity....should I be worried. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I would do a 50% WC with RODI and add a GH booster to bring tank up to 4-6dGH.
Wait a day or two and test water again.

I wold not even acid dose a tank with that high an alkalinity, too much chloride would be left behind.

What were the NO3 levels? High doesn't say much.
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post

I wold not even acid dose a tank with that high an alkalinity, too much chloride would be left behind.

The nitrate level on the test strip was the darkest red that the chart had which is 200

Current Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:26 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
For my KH, I am going to go back to using my RO/DI unit and see if that makes a difference.
If your membranes are in good shape it should bring KH to 0. I'd remineralize your RO for water changes with only GH, assuming you're leaving some tank water in there. Depending on how fragile of life you keep, might want to do that gradually over the course of several partial water changes.

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea to help bring down my nitrates??
Water changes and plant growth are the best ways. Assuming you are using fertilizers, don't add any NO3, obviously.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post

The nitrate level on the test strip was the darkest red that the chart had which is 200

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
If your membranes are in good shape it should bring KH to 0. I'd remineralize your RO for water changes with only GH, assuming you're leaving some tank water in there. Depending on how fragile of life you keep, might want to do that gradually over the course of several partial water changes.
I am buying all new filters and a new membrane. The others were old and needed pitched. My new stuff will hopefully be here by the end of next week.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
I have not been following much and do not know what phish you keep.
Phish of many varieties can grow accustomed to high NO3 levels.
Some others may bash me for this but I would slowly bring down NO3 through WC's in this case.
Maybe bring a tank with say 200ppm NO3 down to 20ppm NO3 over the course of 6-12 weeks.
Quick changes in this case may not be good for phish health at all.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the “whole home filter system”? A water softener system?
mgeorges likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
What is the “whole home filter system”? A water softener system?
Look up Puronics Filter. It only uses softner salt to regenerate and clean the filter media inside the filter tank.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

It’s a sodium based ion exchange softener that removes all/most of the Ca/Mg ions from water and replaces them with sodium. Alkalinity is high because of all the sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate in the water now.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@dewalltheway Dave beat me to it, I figured there was a softener involved with high KH and 0 GH. So you're running a carbon filter prior to the softener, correct? And are you running standard GAC, or a catalytic carbon filter? Makes a difference if your water company adds chloramine. A typically GAC filter will not be effective against chloramine, and breakthrough will lead to your softener resin being destroyed, as well as fish death from incomplete treatment.

I would go back to using RODI water and remineralizing that. This is what I do, as my home has a large whole home catalytic carbon tank and salt based softener as well, and my water would not be suitable for the plants I want to grow at all or for shrimp keeping. The RO membrane does an excellent job of removing sodium, so it will bring down the KH to zero. Then, you can add back just a bit of carbonate, say 1 dKH from NaHCO3(baking soda), K2CO3 or KHCO3. You'll also need to add back GH as was recommended by Maryland Guppy
Greggz likes this.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the input all. I am waiting on my new RO/DI filters and new membrane to arrive. Should be here Friday, I hope, and then hopefully get things back to where they should be.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Received my filters today for my RO/DI unit. Now just need my membrane filter and I can get some water made. Hoping it comes Friday.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Algae Grower

I was using tap water that ran through a home water softener and learned that is detrimental to fishes osmotic function. My fish were losing scales and one by one dying. I didn't know much about gH and kH and then i found these two websites below. It has been a total game changer for me and my fish have fully recovered in the last year. Haven't had a death in at least 18 months and no illnesses. I point people to it all the time, I hope it helps I'll admit it, I really nerded out too and spent HOURS reading because there is so much info.

https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.co....html#softener

Aquarium Chemistry | Calcium & KH & GH & pH & Electrolytes (ions)

https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.co...ish-drink.html

https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.co...aquariums.html
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update....I received my filters and membranes for my RO/DI unit and filtered 55 gals. I tested it and everything was at zero. So I added 6 tsp of GH Booster from GLA, 3 tsp of baking soda (to raise KH) and 3 tsp of Neutral Regulator. After letting it set, I tested again and the GH was at 4, KH between 5&6 and PH around 7. I did a water change and then filtered more water and repeated what I did and did another water change a few days later. My tank as of tonight tests the GH at 2, KH at 6 but my nitrates are still high but not as high as before my WC's. The fish seem happy and the water is clear. I will do another WC this weekend.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 10:16 PM
Algae Grower

The titration test kits for KH actually test for alkalinity. So yes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode