Jebao Dosing pump for autodosing vs. Dry Dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Jebao Dosing pump for autodosing vs. Dry Dosing

I have been doing EI dosing forever, never really tried different methods. I used to have a much more primitive auto dosing system, using fountain pumps turning on for 1 minute and marking my containers for how many days I needed. Though the system worked, it was clunky, if it every got out of calibration, I would have to redo on the lines, etc. Plus my containers were pretty huge as the pumps moved a lot of water.

What I liked about it is that if I made a change to my dosing, I would have 14 days of the same dosing. It really made me commit to changes. If I saw something was really off, I could of course change things, but in general, it stopped me from trying to "micro manage" my ferts at the first sign of deficiency, algae, etc. Dry dosing when I saw a problem, which was usually fairly random, and I never really learned much about long term solutions of how to better change my dosing to fit my tanks needs.

The Jebao is probably about what I spent on my primitive fountain dosing setup. For a long time, I was frankly just confused about these things, how to set it up, how much ferts to do daily, but now I am understanding these calculators better. I am not totally confident that I could set it up today, but, I feel far less "cloudy" about it.

I was just wondering how consistent these are. People seem to give it good reviews, and saying they recalibrate every year or so. Anyone have personal experiences? And more generally, how was the learning curve on these compared to dry dosing? How easy it it to tell when the calibration is off, or do you use marking or some other method to measure consistency?

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
So to me, it doesnt sound like you actually fully understand dosing.

It's as simple as baking a cake - you need 1 oz of butter and 2 oz of sugar. Spread that out over a week and pour it in your tank.

For the dosing pump, if you are using dry salts then you'll need to put those ingredients in water first.

If you are already using liquid ferts then it's as simple as setting the pump up to spit out juice on a certain interval per week and using that number to divide your weekly dose.

I may be missing the actual question though so let me know if this doesnt help.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have been using a kamoer autodoser for nearly 6 years now for reef and planted applications. Just calibrate and you'll be fine. I am planning on upgrading to the ecotech line of dosers in the near future though.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been using my Jebao auto doser for 11 months now.
I've no idea how accurate the thing is day to day, but I specifically created my dosing solutions in rotala butterfly so that that they dose 20ml a day for the daily EI method so that if the pump is a few ml's off it's not the end of the world.

The setup is a pain, but after getting the pumps dialed in close enough it has just worked ever since. Mine was off by 1ml on all pumps, so instead of 20ml it would put out 21ml this was easily fixed by just setting it to dose 19ml.

100% recommend the pump, at the price point that it's at it can't be beat.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
So to me, it doesnt sound like you actually fully understand dosing.

It's as simple as baking a cake - you need 1 oz of butter and 2 oz of sugar. Spread that out over a week and pour it in your tank.

For the dosing pump, if you are using dry salts then you'll need to put those ingredients in water first.

If you are already using liquid ferts then it's as simple as setting the pump up to spit out juice on a certain interval per week and using that number to divide your weekly dose.

I may be missing the actual question though so let me know if this doesnt help.
I understand how much to dose everyday, well, I am having deficiencies which I am about to post, but I have teaspoons that I have measured the size so I have 1/32 and 1/16 size I use. With my fountain pump DIY system, I just had to add how many doses per the amount of days. That setup also had about 1/2 cup of water per day, how I mixed them. With a dosing pump, I used to not understand how you would come up with the solution because it isn't in days, it's how many ml per day. You figure out the ratio of the fertilizer to container size (not how many days) until you need to replace, or so I think, I haven't used a dosing pump like these before and online calculators were not prevalent as they are now to do the math for you. I believe that is correct, though I am sure I will learn something.

-Matt

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
I have been using a kamoer autodoser for nearly 6 years now for reef and planted applications. Just calibrate and you'll be fine. I am planning on upgrading to the ecotech line of dosers in the near future though.
That looks be much more high end at a glance, how often do you calibrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
I've been using my Jebao auto doser for 11 months now.
I've no idea how accurate the thing is day to day, but I specifically created my dosing solutions in rotala butterfly so that that they dose 20ml a day for the daily EI method so that if the pump is a few ml's off it's not the end of the world.

The setup is a pain, but after getting the pumps dialed in close enough it has just worked ever since. Mine was off by 1ml on all pumps, so instead of 20ml it would put out 21ml this was easily fixed by just setting it to dose 19ml.

100% recommend the pump, at the price point that it's at it can't be beat.
That is perfectly in reason. I don't think fountain pump autodosing are in vogue because of products like this but I found once my pumps "broke in", they pushed like 1.5 times the volume. And much more of a pain to setup. Programming a timer to be on for one minute, off for one, on for one, until the container drained. Using a regular old fountain pump with tubing. How many times it needed to drain was how many days you would make a solution for. Anytime it got off, you would have to program for like 15-20 on and off times and mark each on the container.

What is the volume of your containers? Did you use something you already had or buy something for this? How do you do each fert, combine micro's and macro's or do some/all in separate containers?

-Matt

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
That looks be much more high end at a glance, how often do you calibrate?

That is perfectly in reason. I don't think fountain pump autodosing are in vogue because of products like this but I found once my pumps "broke in", they pushed like 1.5 times the volume. And much more of a pain to setup. Programming a timer to be on for one minute, off for one, on for one, until the container drained. Using a regular old fountain pump with tubing. How many times it needed to drain was how many days you would make a solution for. Anytime it got off, you would have to program for like 15-20 on and off times and mark each on the container.

What is the volume of your containers? Did you use something you already had or buy something for this? How do you do each fert, combine micro's and macro's or do some/all in separate containers?
I use Rotala Butterfly to create my solutions. I use cheap 32oz sports bottles with a hole drilled in the rim with the air line tubing run through to the bottom.
I use KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, and CSM+B each on their own pump. At first I did mix the macro's together with the micro's mixed separately, however I decided that I needed some more control over the individual nutrient levels so I started mixing everything in their own bottles.

For my solutions I mix everything to 900ml container size with 20ml dosage for daily EI under rotala butterfly.

Another thing that might be common sense, but when you set the pumps up and after making new solutions you want to prime everything for about a minute each using the right or left arrow menu to select each pump. I just stick both tubes in the container and just have it recirculating inside of the containers to make sure the bubbles are out of the line. Eventually these bubbles would work themselves out because it's a peristaltic pump however it would short your nutrients until that happens.

Also when you're setting things up for the first time, take each roller assembly apart and roll the tubing in your hands for a second to make sure there are no kinks or anything from the factory. It's a pain to get back together, but it's better to make sure everything is working as expected.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode