• 2 Post By athyra_firestorm
  • 2 Post By Greggz
  • 2 Post By pfcs49

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4

I have been using PPS-Pro for several years. Today as I was mixing up more Micros and Macros I measured Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 wrong. Suggested amount is 2.9 grams and I mixed in 4.5. Forgot to remove it before taring and adding MgSO4.

Any concern with the additional 1.5 grams of KH2PO4? Both tanks are high light CO2 injected and heavily planted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:14 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Curious to see what others will say but in the meantime I can attest that I've overdosed far more PO4 than that and didn't have a problem. I'd continue using it, and when about 1/4 of the bottle is gone, just add your other macros at 25% to the bottle. That should get it pretty close.
Greggz and kgbudge like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:06 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
How much are you adding, and to what sized aquarium? We can calculate difference in final concentration if we have these two parameters

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
How much are you adding, and to what sized aquarium? We can calculate difference in final concentration if we have these two parameters

I am dosing 5 ml of Macros daily to a 29 gallon tank. Water volume in the tank is roughly 25 gallons including the water outside the tank in the two canisters.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I do not think it will be a big problem. I would just remake the solution if you are concerned though as the salts are not expensive. I don't really know what the most ethical way to dispose of fertilizer solutions is though. Maybe just use it on garden plants?

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 02:16 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjclassic View Post
I have been using PPS-Pro for several years. Today as I was mixing up more Micros and Macros I measured Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 wrong. Suggested amount is 2.9 grams and I mixed in 4.5. Forgot to remove it before taring and adding MgSO4.

Any concern with the additional 1.5 grams of KH2PO4? Both tanks are high light CO2 injected and heavily planted.
I'm a total beginner with dosing regimens, etc, but can you just proportionately increase the amounts of the other macro nutrients that you are supposed to add and dilute back to the correct concentration?

For example, say you added about 80% more KH2PO4 than you should have. Can you just add 80% extra of the other ingredients and then dilute the whole mixture back down? If 2.9g of KH2PO4 per 500 mL (or whatever volume of water you are using) is the correct concentration, then 4.5g per x mL would be the same dilution rate (where you would cross multiply to find x). So add the dry mixture to about 776 mL of water to get the approximate correct dilution.

But it has been a very long time for me since college chemistry lab, and math has never been my strong suit so take that with a grain of salt (pun intended!)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by athyra_firestorm View Post
I'm a total beginner with dosing regimens, etc, but can you just proportionately increase the amounts of the other macro nutrients that you are supposed to add and dilute back to the correct concentration?
You are way overthinking this.

IMO, not only should you not worry about it, but who knows your plants might like the extra PO4......most do.

I would relax, dose what you have, and observe the plants.

It may even be a learning opportunity.

---
---
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should be fine. I've dosed a ton of it when I thought I had a major shortage. Short term results were a TON of plant bubbling. I didnt see any long term issues.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:00 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjclassic View Post
I am dosing 5 ml of Macros daily to a 29 gallon tank. Water volume in the tank is roughly 25 gallons including the water outside the tank in the two canisters.
Oops, we'll also need to know the volume of the stock you made to get an actual result.

However, 1.6 extra grams in some volume of stock fertilizer, of which you're only adding 5 mL to 25 gallons of water -- I would not worry too much about adding too much excess phosphate.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Oops, we'll also need to know the volume of the stock you made to get an actual result.

However, 1.6 extra grams in some volume of stock fertilizer, of which you're only adding 5 mL to 25 gallons of water -- I would not worry too much about adding too much excess phosphate.

Thanks for the input guys. The tank also have a heavy bio-load and I have never check my tap for PO4. Also they were 500ml containers. On a plus note I had 250ml left in a bottle from the upstairs tank. Blended the two and not the concentration is even closer.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
twice in 10 years I've had API phosphate kits go bad.
The first time, I started scratching my head after I'd had to weekly add KH2PO4 for over a month.
Then I brewed up a test solution: major fail!
Then I got a new kit and found that the solution would turn pitch black! The card show 10ppm as black.
I did aggressive water changes (60%) more than a few times before the meter budged! I can't guess how high the phosphate level was, but it must have been enormous.
However, I observed no bad results!

About a month ago this same scenario repeated itself, dosing a very low P reading to +1 or +1.5 three times before getting a new kit. P was just over 5ppm this time
Greggz and xjclassic like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode