Saturation of CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Saturation of CO2

I'm learning as I go, so I apologize in advance if I'm being a pest.

For the last 3 nights I came home to find my reactor nearly full of bubbles (looked like a milkshake) of what I assumed were O2 or other gases that had transfered into the CO2 bubbles (I can't think of the proper term right now). The water flow was still very forceful. Previously I just "burped" these bubbles out by shutting of the filter and priming it. Last night, I let the bubbles stay and they were all gone by the morning. This means that it was indeed CO2, correct?

Tonight I come home and find just a small amount of bubbles in the reactor (a handful, maybe 50) that I would have at startup. My water parameters haven't changed. Ph is still 6.8, kH is still 5. The only difference is that lastnight I added a bioload to the aquarium - 4 cories and 16 amano shrimp.

When I measured the nitrates before they were at about 5ppm. Is it possible that with the introduction of fish they perhaps provided something that was missing and now my CO2 can be fully absorbed? Or can this be due to the size increase of the plants?

I'm more than happy that the CO2 is being absorbed. Every single plant is pearling like crazy right now. I just can't figure out why the change occurred. The tank is also 3 degrees warmer than in the past. Does temperature have an effect of CO2 dissolution?

Thanks again for any ideas or comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
Well, it sounds like you are injecting co2 faster than your reactor can deal with it. Slow down you Bubble count. But before we can give you exact answers we need to know a few things about your set up!

What reactor do you have?
How long has the tank been set up?
What is feeding water to the reactor?
Is this a presurized system?

-------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
information.
-------------------------------------
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The reactor is made from a Python gravel siphon (1' long 2" wide). It is connected to the inflow of my canister rated at 320 gph. It is a compressed CO2 system and I have had the output going at 65 bpm for the last 2 days. The tank has been setup for 3 weeks now. CO2 for about 5 days now.

Is CO2 more soluble in "mature" or warmer water?

Thanks again for the input.

Here's a pic:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I dont see any bio-balls in the reactor to create some turbulence .. are they in there?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
.. also whats the black hose going into the reactor ?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No bioballs. There is a big swirling motion which keeps the bubbles in motion. I could add some if necessary. The black hose is just a piece of tubing connected to the other side of the copper barb. This way the bubble is released lower into the chamber and adds to the current as it works it's way up.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Personally i would put some bioballs in there. It will help trap the CO2 to increase effeciency. I would also feed the co2 through the bottom, so they have to fight through the bioballs while floating up.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
I agree feed the Co2 as low to the bottom as you can, so they fight the current all the way up.....and see if you could put some bio balls in there for turbulance.....

Why is your reactor connected to the intake ? just wondering...

I have mine connected to the outflow....just before it reaches the tank...

...another thing if you can't find bio balls...try lava rocks....Ive seen people try multiple things.....just so that there is turbulance to chop the co2 up...

Ehiem Pimp # 88

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

bigfishy

Measure you CO2 by the pH/KH method to see where you are. You can also measure pH before lights on and before lights out to see how much the plants are using.

Moved to Tucson.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishy
Last night, I let the bubbles stay and they were all gone by the morning. This means that it was indeed CO2, correct?
Not necessarily, O2 bubbles will dissipate as well over time. No chance you are sucking air in there anyway are you?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Adding something like Bio Balls may help break up the CO2 bubbles a bit, and make your reactor a little more efficient, however it sounds like things are working just fine the way they are.

I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought myself!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the help. I came home tonight and it is full again . The only difference between today and yesterday is that I lowered the temp to 76F. No air is being sucked in, unless the Rotala that is by the intake is pearling too close to it.

I'll try to locate some U-tubes so that I can reposition the reactor to the outflow of the filter. Will also pick up some bioballs when I have the chance. I'll retest the pH and kH just before I turn out the light. They have been steady for the last 3 days at 6.8 and 5 though.

As you can see by this pic, the reactor is getting too full. Yesterday, at this same time, it looked like the first picture I posted.

Once again, thanks for all the input.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank VIP

YIKES !!
Tell me that aint all bubbles ? That has to be airlocking your filter... no ?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Buck makes a good point. By having all those bubbles on the intake side of your filter, you must be pulling a good number of them into the canister, and opening yourself to the risk of airlock.
If possible, I would move it to the outlet side. Among other reasons, you will keep the reactor cleaner, and the water will be slightly pressurized (from the pump), increasing CO2 diffusion.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I noticed the same thing... in the mornings, O2 saturation of the water is low, and all CO2 is being dissolved readily. After noon O2 saturation reaches 100% and O2 pearls out of plants and collects in the reactor. During the night, this O2 is being dissolved, and in the morningn the tube is empty again.

In any case, I would like to third/forth the recommendation to run if off the filter output if you don't already.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode