Mulm - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mulm

I transferred my corys to my 75g, in doing so, I reduced the water level to catch the fish easier. When refilling the tank I stirred the substrate a bit, a tremendous amount of mulm. I'm trying to figure out what caused it and how to prevent it. It has somewhat large ragged substrate, and a small HOB filter (Aqueon 20 I believe). A lot of the mulm looks like dead algae. I'm going to relocate the tank and I ordered an Eheim 2211 and a small UV unit. I have algae issues with the tank which got a bit better when I changed the light cycle to 2 2hr periods. As I don't like the substrate I may change it for a smoother and finer one. As this is my quarantine/hospital tank plants are limited to some Java moss on wood.

I would like to know what, if anything, I can do to minimize the mulm? I'm thinking that a gravel vac might help, and I'm hoping that a lot of the problem was the algae problem that I had. When the corys were in there, they were fed 1/8t nano bits sinking pellets 2x daily (7 corys).

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:27 PM
Banned

I've used a gravel vac routinely for water changes for over twenty years now. Highly recommend.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

That’s where finer substrates are superior for aquarium use. All the debris instead of falling down in large pores between grains is kept at surface where it easy to skim over surface and pickup at water change or use a turkey baster to blow it up and let filter pads trap it then clean filter.

Peace River is still my all time favorite aquarium substrate just because of grain and pore size.

You might also consider your circulation across substrate layer is not adequate to keep debris swept up and carried over to filter input. Aerobic bacteria in sand/gravel will actually cleanup substrate as long as you give it good consistent supply of oxygenated water flowing across it.
JJJessee likes this.

Last edited by DaveKS; 01-17-2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Typo

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just had an idea for a gravel vac. The Eheims that I use come with quick disconnect fittings. If I bought another set of fittings and connected the hose from the vac to the filter via the quick disconnect I should have a good vac system with no mess. What do you think of that idea? any pitfalls?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your filter will clog up rather quickly from vacuuming.

I vacuum as I siphon water out for changing, and I am always amazed at the amount of mulm that comes out. Planted tanks are messy!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Thatís where finer substrates are superior for aquarium use. All the debris instead of falling down in large pores between grains is kept at surface where it easy to skim over surface and pickup at water change or use a turkey baster to blow it up and let filter pads trap it then clean filter.

Peace River is still my all time favorite aquarium substrate just because of grain and pore size.

You might also consider your circulation across substrate layer is not adequate to keep debris swept up and carried over to filter input. Aerobic bacteria in sand/gravel will actually cleanup substrate as long as you give it good consistent supply of oxygenated water flowing across it.
Holy smokes. That is a beautiful substrate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode