Which Hanna model are you using? - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fishroom Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Which Hanna model are you using?

Hello everybody,

I'm looking at the Hanna Iron Test kits. I see there are a few options.

Which one will get the job done? For instance, I see : https://tinyurl.com/sffzb4j and I see https://tinyurl.com/yx54hb8x

I don't need anything fancy, but I would like to use something like this.

Appreciate any feedback,

DD

Use a quarantine tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I use HI721

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The orange one. I wish it was both faster and that all of the test kits were that accurate.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Iron is such a varying thing that testing is probably better accepted in a ballpark area. I've found that the Nutrafin test is fine and calibrates nicely. If you're going to buy Hanna products (and i own some), I'd spend the money on their alkalinity or phosphate colorimeters before buying an expensive iron test.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
If you're going to buy Hanna products (and i own some), I'd spend the money on their alkalinity or phosphate colorimeters before buying an expensive iron test.
All Hanna Checkers are $49.99 each, Fe is not more expensive?

API is fine for phosphate and the KH is not so bad either.
For KH increase sample size if measuring low levels.

Fe being the indicator element for micro dosing has led many of us blind for a long time.
I've tested friends tanks only to find zero Fe or as high as 1.5ppm.
Deanna likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
All Hanna Checkers are $49.99 each, Fe is not more expensive?

API is fine for phosphate and the KH is not so bad either.
For KH increase sample size if measuring low levels.

Fe being the indicator element for micro dosing has led many of us blind for a long time.
I've tested friends tanks only to find zero Fe or as high as 1.5ppm.
Yes, they are all ~$50, and my point was to buy others in their line before Fe. I have found that the API KH kit, even when sample size is increased by 5, to not be as precise as the Hanna and, to me, once we are reading at 1 dKH or below, a small difference is more magnified, whereas reading Fe at .1 to .3 is not as critical so long as it is there. Interestingly, my Fe gluc is dosed at about .1 / day, yet it is not readable after 30 minutes.

Regarding PO4, I was not at all happy with the API ability to distinguish well below about 3ppm. Salifert is much better and the Hanna low-range is very good below 3ppm. However, above 3ppm and the API excels, although I suspect that the Hanna high-range would still be more precise, but who needs precision above 3ppm.
DigityDog70 likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:59 AM
Planted Member

I use the one for dkh. Great product, my only complaint is the reagent is a bit pricey, about 75 a test. I'm thinking of getting the nitrate tester, especially after hearing all of the complaints with the API nitrate test.
DigityDog70 likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
I use the one for dkh. Great product, my only complaint is the reagent is a bit pricey, about 75 a test. I'm thinking of getting the nitrate tester, especially after hearing all of the complaints with the API nitrate test.
Try the Salifert NO3 kit, first. It is much easier to use than the API and gives clearer results.
DigityDog70 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fishroom Bum

Which Hanna model are you using?

Has anyone used this unit before HI83300-01
Multiparameter Benchtop Photometer and pH meter ? I am wondering if this is the unit where you can take any one of the various handheld colorimeter units. place it in the socket and test. I dont know if this is the correct unit or not? I was reading about another unit that was priced at approximately$1200 but I cant seem to find the article. sure it is costly but I digress Id still like to learn about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use a quarantine tank!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigityDog70 View Post
Might need to double the cost of $975 to $1950 so as to include all reagents and standards for calibration.

Check this thread out.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...i-83200-a.html
DigityDog70 likes this.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Multiparameter Benchtop Photometer and pH meter ? I am wondering if this is the unit where you can take any one of the various handheld colorimeter units. place it in the socket and test.
[URL="https://www.hannainst.com/multiparameter-photometer-and-ph-meter-hi83300.html"]

Theabovelink has details about it and lists all the tests it can do. it basically works the same way as the $50 checkers that were mentioned earlier. However unlike the checker that can only do one test, this unit can do about 50 different tests However not all the tests it can do are aplical to aquariums. It can however test for all the macro nutrients (N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S Cl) a few micros (Fe, Mn, Cu, Ni) Gh, Kh, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

Please note the ranges listed in the tests. Some tests are low rang, mid range, and high ranges for the same element. You want to use the tests that are in the range typical for an aquarium. One test for Zinc (a micro nutrient) is only for high range ppm range while most aquariums are in the low ppb range. So the Zinc test isn't that useful Other tests are for marine tanks while most are for fresh water. IF you can afford it it is useful. but in many case great accuracy i not always needed.

I have looked at it and the higher priced version that can do even more tests but do you need all that? Another option would be to buy a few low cost tests and occasionally send out a ample to a lab for a ICP-OES test that can measure 13 of the 14 nutrients down to 0.001ppm for $30 a tests. I am currently thinking the $30 lab test and a few $50 checkers. PH pen, and TDS meter are a better route.

While I really like the Hanna checkers I worry that they may abandon the product. Many of the checkers they release were mainly geared for water contamination monitoring, or laboratory tests. Many the checkers are not useful for aquariums. And the one checker many people want a nitrate checker was never produced. Only a couple of new checkers were release after the initial product launch and nothing has been added in the last several years.

Quote:
I was reading about another unit that was priced at approximately$1200 but I can’t seem to find the article. sure it is costly but I digress I’d still like to learn
There are about 9 different models: The more tests a unit can do the higher the cost.
https://www.hannainst.com/search?sea...ers/perpage:36
DigityDog70 likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fishroom Bum

Why is the Hanna equipment so expensive?

Use a quarantine tank!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You think Hanna is expensive check out Hach Colorimeters.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cheap testing equipment is not worth wasting your money on.
The Hanna checkers are nice to use.
I also use the exact dip system.

https://sensafe.com/exact-idip-570-f...fessional-kit/

Keeps all my testing for various tanks in the app. An allows me to track parameters.
DigityDog70 likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fishroom Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
Cheap testing equipment is not worth wasting your money on.
The Hanna checkers are nice to use.
I also use the exact dip system.

https://sensafe.com/exact-idip-570-f...fessional-kit/

Keeps all my testing for various tanks in the app. An allows me to track parameters.
Thanks for sharing, that's definitely "not" cheap. Seems like one needs to spend "money" if you want a quality Water Testing Solution. Just is what it is?

Use a quarantine tank!

Tags
hanna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode