Red plants only red near surface, and plenty of dust algae - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red plants only red near surface, and plenty of dust algae

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? I can't keep my led bar on for more than 5 or 6 hours a day without getting a noticeable layer of dust algae on my glass.

Light is about 60 par at the bottom over my 22 gallon long. 50% water change with RO per week. Not fertilizing atm and it's still happening at the same rate. I also have bga that constantly grows in one small dead spot which needs a cleaning each week too.

At the same time, my stem plants that are able to turn red ONLY turn red an inch or so from the surface of the water.

What does this mean and where do I dtaty troubleshooting? How am I getting alage but also not enough light to turn my plants red all the way down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dont have the answers but things that will help,
-What light are you using?
-What tank inhabitants are there?
-Water parameters?
-How heavily planted (any pics)?
-Is the tank anywhere that direct or indirect sunlight can get to it?
-How long has tank been up and running?

The 22g long is a pretty shallow tank so that will have to be a consideration. In my 40b I had a couple bouts of green soup and green dust algae and couldnt fight it until I realized a glass pane door was letting sunlight onto the tank in the morning (Im usually at work in the morning). Once I fixed that I moved on from green dust and green soup to other algaes to get under control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

50% water change per week with RO? Do you reconstitute your water with any mineral additives?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Check this out: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...tter_2ozn.html.

In fact, Dennis' entire site is a good read. He has, pretty much, provided a free, high-quality, overall guide on planted tanks.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ludwigia senegalensis was one of my "red" stem plants that only turned red on the top and second most layer. The article says they need higher light to get more red

To me this means my tank must be dirty or way less planted then I realize because if I add more par I think I'll need to clean algae every day.

I also just cracked open a bloodworm cube this week instead of a shrimp one and I got more algae this week. I have 8 chocolate gouramis and a few scarlet badis. I didnt think this was overstocked but maybe it is or I'm overfeeding. A cube typically lasts me 5 days though and I feed a little each day.

And yes I remineralize with gh boost and potassium carbonate for kh. I watch their levels, along with ph and co2 to make sure kh is right. TDS was around 185 yesterday as well.

No sources of direct sunlight on it for any extended period of time. Parameters are all what we would consider normal but I'll let you know if any stick out during my next testing. Tank has been up for 3+ months and I had the same problem with my last one. Its so weird that I almost think its somehow the light itself (current led pro plus). My wife has the same light and is running into similar algae issues each week.

I'll post pictures but I'd say the tank is medium planted, not quite sure though. You'll get to see the algae that appears within a week too. Sadly I dont have an unstocked, and therefore possibly cleaner tank to test the environment against.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
Ludwigia senegalensis was one of my "red" stem plants that only turned red on the top and second most layer. The article says they need higher light to get more red
This.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, here are pics of my tank one week after cleaning the glass, brushing the hardscape and scraping anubia and buce leaves. Plenty of BGA and dust algae.

Notice the rotala on the back right are a red species but are barely turning red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118_122948_1579389742633.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	892055  

Name:	20200118_122959_1579389754502.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	892057  

Name:	20200118_123013_1579389766386.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	892059  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-20-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ok, here are pics of my tank one week after cleaning the glass, brushing the hardscape and scraping anubia and buce leaves. Plenty of BGA and dust algae.

Notice the rotala on the back right are a red species but are barely turning red.
Ah where thars your problem.

Your only fast growing plants are the rotala and you have like... 8 stems? Thats nowhere near enough. You need 3 - 4 times that in fast growing stems in a tank like this if you are going with high light.

In short.. SPAWN MORE PLANTS!

:P

And make them fast growing plants.

Edit: Looking again at later pictures and its confusing how many plants you have.. Something with the angle...

Anyway some plants will stop growing as quickly when they reach the surface if they can't grow out of the water. You may want to trim, plant the trimmings and let them all grow to the surface again.. a few times.
Quesenek likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

And yes you need clean up a large portion of all that detritus setting around on everything. Turkey baster is your best friend.
Quesenek likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

So something I've noticed is the algae you're struggling with is caused by dirty tanks, which in my experience is 90% of algae TBH as when I start slacking on tank/filter clean up all kinds of things start popping up.

So with this in mind, I think things are being made much worse by stopping the fertilizers because healthy plants growing fast with fertilizers and Co2 can fight algae. Whereas plants that don't have what they need to grow can't, so it doesn't matter if you have 10 par at the substrate or 200 par the algae is being allowed to grow because the plants aren't in any shape to fight it.

And this is also where you might be running into the issue of why your plants aren't red because you quit dosing and lowered your light cycle causing your more demanding plants such as the rotala to not be as healthy as they should be.
Greggz likes this.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys. Sounds like the tank is still way too dirty. I'm going to cut back on feeding and really get at the detritus over a few extra water changes
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

One thing I meant to ask was...

People say "try to not disturb the substrate when cleaning." Does that mean dont get the detritus off the substrate, or dont pick up a bunch of the substrate itself?

Also, how do you clean the detritus when you cant effectively get a siphon down between a forest of stem plants?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

People say "try to not disturb the substrate when cleaning." Does that mean dont get the detritus off the substrate, or dont pick up a bunch of the substrate itself?

Also, how do you clean the detritus when you cant effectively get a siphon down between a forest of stem plants?
I would advise you get the detritus off that substrate as it's probably doing negative things to the tank rather then good.
Context really plays a part in what they would mean by that, are they saying that to not mess up a scape? Or are they talking about not releasing a lot of ammonia when tinkering in the tank.

The way that I get things stirred up in the tank and out of the plants is I swirl the siphon tub around the area I'm trying to clean and it picks everything up.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Quote:

I would advise you get the detritus off that substrate as it's probably doing negative things to the tank rather then good.
Context really plays a part in what they would mean by that, are they saying that to not mess up a scape? Or are they talking about not releasing a lot of ammonia when tinkering in the tank.

The way that I get things stirred up in the tank and out of the plants is I swirl the siphon tub around the area I'm trying to clean and it picks everything up.
Yeah, not sure what they meant, that's why I asked.

I swirl as well but some spots are impossible to fit the siphon I to so I'll try squirting the areas.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
what are your nitrate levels? My rotala get this appearance with low co2 or high nitrates.

edit: I have a 22 long as well. I find it difficult to get a lot of red in the stems before they get so long they need to be trimmed. Nitrate limitation helps a lot in this case.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode