5Likes
  • 3 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 2 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 Reactor & Dosing Question

So I am going to install a CO2 reactor and I think I am going to try my hand at building one myself from these instructions.
I am also adding an automatic dosing system at the same time.

I had a couple of questions. The PPS-Pro site says to run the CO2 24x7:

Quote:
Do I need to shut off my CO2 at night?
No. CO2 is available in the water full-time in nature, no reason to change that here. Since we are dosing at a lower level (20 ppm) we have plenty of safety margin. And stable pH and CO2 levels help plants and fish, making it harder on algae.
But here I have been reading that your cycle your CO2 in relation to your lighting, on about an hour before your lights and off with the lights. Can I get some more input and thoughts on what everyone is doing that does CO2 injection?

Second, I was thinking of connecting my dosing lines to my reactor so that when the dosing happens it gets dosed into a running water stream, much like the CO2. This way I don't have extra hoses running up into my tank and I feel like it would mix better and faster. I am looking for suggestions as to why I might not want to do this, or if people think that it is a good idea!

Thanks

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

People align their co2 with lighting to save on co2 while also not gassing their fish when the lights are off and the plants aren't using co2 anymore.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
People align their co2 with lighting to save on co2 while also not gassing their fish when the lights are off and the plants aren't using co2 anymore.
So disregard the PPS site in regards to CO2?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Turn it on 1-2 hours before lights on to try and have your pH drop before lights on.
Turn off 1 hour before lights off or moonlight phase.

I just think it is a waste if not during the photo-period.
Greggz, Immortal1 and Asteroid like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Turn it on 1-2 hours before lights on to try and have your pH drop before lights on.
Turn off 1 hour before lights off or moonlight phase.

I just think it is a waste if not during the photo-period.
Got it, I have it set to come on 1 hour before lights on and off right as moonlight phase starts. I am currently running 1 bps into my DIY reactor!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD500_Pilot View Post
Got it, I have it set to come on 1 hour before lights on and off right as moonlight phase starts. I am currently running 1 bps into my DIY reactor!
1 bps is next to nothing.

In a 75G, CO2 flow will be more like a steady stream. Pretty much impossible to count.

Many with larger tanks use a Dwyer RMA-151-SSV flow meter to measure CO2 input.

Take some time to learn the relationship between pH and CO2. Start by leaving a glass of your tank water out for about 2 or 3 days (or 1 day with a bubbler in it) then test the pH. That will be your degassed value for pH.

As you add CO2, pH will drop. Most shoot for at least a 1 point drop from the degassed value. And many (like me) more than that.

If you are going to get more serious about plants, a calibrated pH meter is a valuable tool. Testing pH via strips or API kits is not very accurate. And getting CO2 right is very important in a planted tank and well worth getting it right. It will make every single other thing easier.
Maryland Guppy and Immortal1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:54 PM
Planted Member

MD500 I did the same thing and built my own Griggs reactor. Be happy to help you with it, I have the tap you'll need to thread the tubing for your airline nipple. You mentioned to me you used to have a reef tank, if you have an Apex that is the ideal controller. Milwaukee makes a ph controller for $130. I'd get one.

I agree with Greggzz that your bubble count is way way to low. On my 55 gallon the bps is uncountable and it takes a 30" reactor to dissolve the co2 without dealing with bubbles in the tank. Its important that the length be paired with the flow rate of your pump.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
With the lights on plants take in CO2 and produce oxygen. When the lights are off plants take in oxygen and produce a small amount of CO2.

If you don't have a ph controller you'll be at risk of gassing your fuana. Of you do get one you run the risk of the probe becoming uncalibrated or something just breaks and you run the risk of gassing your fuana.

Getting an analog timer vice a PH monitor is significantly less expensive and IMO less of a risk. Plus you're not wasting CO2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I may not know everything but I sure do act like it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode