Why would nitrate remain near 0 ? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I picked up the salifert kit. While I think it is more accurate in the 0-5 range; i think it is less accurate in the 10 to 20 range. Also i made the terrible mistake of looking through the side and thinking my tank was nearly 50ppm; then reread the direction and looked down and saw it was around 3-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I use the Salifert kit and find it to be more accurate based on my dosing than the API one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
I picked up the salifert kit. While I think it is more accurate in the 0-5 range; i think it is less accurate in the 10 to 20 range. Also i made the terrible mistake of looking through the side and thinking my tank was nearly 50ppm; then reread the direction and looked down and saw it was around 3-4.
What makes you think that?
Deanna likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

^^^Agreed. No way the Salifert kit is less accurate than the API through 40ppm. In fact, it's not so much an accuracy issue as it is just trying to distinguish colors in the API kit.
Asteroid likes this.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is the colour ranges in the chart for the two tests (colour comparison); api covers the mid range a little better while Salifert covers the lower range a bit better. In the end you still have to compare the colour of the test solution to the chart which in itself is some what a guessing game - this isn't about how accurate the solution is but the ability to match the test solution to the chart. If the test solution itself is not accurate then all bets are off and i have no method to determine if one is more accurate than the other in that regards. While most (all?) my tanks are below 20 they are mostly above 10 'cept the tank discussed in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
What makes you think that?
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For the record chemiclean removed the cyanobacteria. It was extremely effective. The nitrate has been remaining below 5 but at least it is not 0.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode