• 1 Post By burr740
  • 1 Post By burr740
  • 1 Post By vvDO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
All in one fert solution

Can you mix a fert solution as an all in one macro/micro? Letís say using kno3, kh2po4, k2so4, and plantex or millers? Trying to create a simple mix for my low tech tanks that I can dose using a container and pump top to dose maybe 2ml at a time to reach a target of 5ppm nitrate. Rotala butterfly says I can create a solution to target 5ppm nitrate with a 2ml dose in a 500ml container but I donít know what happens with solubility when the other nutrients are added. Do the chelates break down in these when combined or anything?

I did a quick search but couldnít find info on the topic even though I know it has been discussed on here.

Let me know what yíall think!

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
You can put everything in one. Add .5 gram ascorbic acid per 500 ml of solution first to set the PH. This will keep the chelates intact and prevent interactions in the bottle. To prevent mold (you may or may not need this) you can add .2 gram potassium sorbate per 500 ml
Willcooper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
You can put everything in one. Add .5 gram ascorbic acid per 500 ml of solution first to set the PH. This will keep the chelates intact and prevent interactions in the bottle. To prevent mold (you may or may not need this) you can add .2 gram potassium sorbate per 500 ml

Thanks burr. Does the potassium sorbate act as a source of usable potassium as well? If using RO water to mix these fertilizers in what pH does the ascorbic acid set to? 7?

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping someone like you would answer this so thank you

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
I dont know how much usable K the sorbate provides but its not enough to be a factor.

You want the PH of the solution at 6 or below. Its not critical to hit a certain number. The above ascorbic acid recipe is supposed to put distilled water at 6, but in my experience it takes it into the mid 4s. I believe most name brand products use a PH in the 3s and 4s
Willcooper likes this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I dont know how much usable K the sorbate provides but its not enough to be a factor.

You want the PH of the solution at 6 or below. Its not critical to hit a certain number. The above ascorbic acid recipe is supposed to put distilled water at 6, but in my experience it takes it into the mid 4s. I believe most name brand products use a PH in the 3s and 4s

Funny you say that... when I was calibrating my pH controller I had assumed distilled water was pH 7, quickly learned that it was about 6. So getting 4.5 or so sounds about right.

Willcooper likes this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi. Jumping in here because of the Subject title.
I was wondering if you can buy and all-in-one.
I have long term, fairly well balanced planted tank but I add nothing at all. Looking to ramp up the colors and growth, so thinking both ferts and maybe even CO2. Still wanna keep it easy, and looking at these notes, it looks like you need to be a chemist! I know I need to get a test kit (yep, haven't tested a thing in years).
Hey, I'll take on help on any of this please and thanks!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonBeMe View Post

I have long term, fairly well balanced planted tank but I add nothing at all. Looking to ramp up the colors and growth, so thinking both ferts and maybe even CO2. Still wanna keep it easy, and looking at these notes, it looks like you need to be a chemist! I know I need to get a test kit (yep, haven't tested a thing in years).

A solution is easy enough to mix up yourself but you could use a product like easy green but the problem with easy green is that the total dose of any given nutrient isnít totally known.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
A solution is easy enough to mix up yourself but you could use a product like easy green but the problem with easy green is that the total dose of any given nutrient isnít totally known.

Assuming the percentages are listed why wouldnt they be known? Also of note, when using dry ferts you really dont know what you are dosing as accurately as they think(not that it really matters), as the batch would probably be rather small errors in weighing mainly among others.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All in one fert solution

Yeah super important to have a proper scale well calibrated.

Last edited by Willcooper; 12-13-2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: ...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:52 PM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonBeMe View Post
Thrive will do what you're looking for.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes thrive works very indeed , especially with osmocote+ root tabs.

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode