No More Chloramine Reagent-type Test Kits? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
No More Chloramine Reagent-type Test Kits?

My old API chlorine/chloramine kit finally ran out and it seems that few test kit manufacturers do chlorine, let alone chloramine, reagent kits anymore. I guess they just figure that you can add neutralizers and forget about it. Maybe the strips are good enough?

The only one i could find on the big 'A' is a Sera kit for chlorine. @somewhatshocked: you seem to be our resident expert on Sera kits, do you know if their chlorine kit measures total chlorine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:37 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
That's the only kit I don't have from Sera at the moment or I'd check for you. I last used it in 2017 and from what I remember, it worked really well for detecting even tiny amounts after my RO/DI filter did its job.

I've got the API version right now. Used one from a pool company before that.

If I remember correctly, I think Hagen's kit (whatever brand they market it under in the US - maybe it's just Hagen?) is also pretty good.

I'll need to get a new kit sometime this winter. When I do, I'll try to get the Sera reagent and will mention it here on the forum.

It's become habit for me just to toss in some Prime or Safe in my RO containers when I fill them up. So if you don't absolutely have to test for chlorine/chloramine, you'll definitely be fine just treating.
Deanna likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can get a Chlorine Test Kit refill at Spa and Pool Stores for $1 and it takes 10 drops in 5 ml to get the same yellow colours as old aquarium test kits do. I use it to monitor carbon cartridges before RO membrane where any yellowing says “Go to Home Depot today!”.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
You can get a Chlorine Test Kit refill at Spa and Pool Stores for $1 and it takes 10 drops in 5 ml to get the same yellow colours as old aquarium test kits do. I use it to monitor carbon cartridges before RO membrane where any yellowing says “Go to Home Depot today!”.
Thanks, but I found a Salifert chlorine/chloramine kit on an e-tailers' site and ordered there because Salifert has just introduced a potassium freshwater kit that I have to try (Salifert is my 'go to' choice for test kits like Sera is for @somewhatshocked). I also want to try this e-tailer, as I am not familiar with them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Salifert kits are great. I'd consider them a couple quality levels above Sera for some things. Would buy them more often if they weren't more expensive.

I tend to stick with Sera because they're reasonably affordable. Also enjoy the test tube quality and size... and being able to store the bottle inside the tube. API tends to serve as a backup or an option when nothing else is available. There's only one API kit I refuse to use and that's Nitrate. It's just awful (inaccurate/difficult to read/easy to screw up) compared to every other test on the market.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Salifert kits are great. I'd consider them a couple quality levels above Sera for some things. Would buy them more often if they weren't more expensive.

I tend to stick with Sera because they're reasonably affordable. Also enjoy the test tube quality and size... and being able to store the bottle inside the tube. API tends to serve as a backup or an option when nothing else is available. There's only one API kit I refuse to use and that's Nitrate. It's just awful (inaccurate/difficult to read/easy to screw up) compared to every other test on the market.
I bought the Sera GH kit a number of months ago and definitely prefer that over the API kit.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:27 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

I know it's only been a couple days but when you get the kit in, @Deanna, I hope you'll chime in with your thoughts about how the Salifert kit works.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I know it's only been a couple days but when you get the kit in, @Deanna, I hope you'll chime in with your thoughts about how the Salifert kit works.
Received and tested. The total chlorine test works beautifully ...I assume (didn't actually calibrate it). The Salifert kit reads an ever-so-slight level of total chlorine (.1 ppm), which I expected to exist, whereas the old API kit would read zero at this level. The Salifert does read zero when no chlorine is present (RO/DI water). Very easy to administer and read.

More interesting, to me, is that the new Salifert freshwater K kit seems to read K correctly. However, I have not calibrated it at various K levels, yet. It does match the 25 ppm that I would expect (based upon dosing) and the results from my JBL test, which I have calibrated. Additionally, the Salifert kit is the easiest to administer and easiest to read (dramatic single-drop change in color) of any K kits I've tried.

Once I have a chance to do some calibration on it, I'll be posting results on a potassium test analysis thread I have floating around on TPT.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode