• 1 Post By ZuppaDePesce
  • 1 Post By pauld738
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 1 Post By ZuppaDePesce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazon Sword is trying to tell me something!

What is my Sword trying to tell me? What do I need? I know there's a story there! Don't be gentile!

Ferts: 4 pumps of Easy Green once a week, 2 Seachem fert tabs under the Sword once a month.

CO2 Injected - pH @ 6.6 during the day - air pump at night with the pH going to 7.0 at night. KH4, GH 6-8, NO2 0, NO3 - Don't ask. However I've been doing 5 or 10 gallon water changes every few days since last month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon Sword issues.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	889815  

Name:	They're Hungry.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	889817  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ZuppaDePesce; 11-21-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Planted Member

Its most likely the high nitrates. If this tank has NO3 that high just from fish load, I would maybe find a different fertilizer than Easy Green which is just adding more nitrates with each pump. For my high nitrate tanks I use a micro solution and for macros I just use KH2PO4 so I'm not adding more NO3.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @ZuppaDePesce

I downloaded and enlarged your full tank picture; is it fairly recent? If so it may give us a clue. Here is what the plant on the right rear looked like....does it have the dark leaf veins and substantially lighter areas between the veins as we see in the picture?

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 PM
Algae Grower

Since you didn't mention, how often do you trim leaves? Swords do benefit from being trimmed.

I too had to ditch all-in-one ferts so I could back off on introducing nitrates. Modified macros with slightly more micro's. But that's just my tank.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @ZuppaDePesce

I downloaded and enlarged your full tank picture; is it fairly recent? If so it may give us a clue. Here is what the plant on the right rear looked like....does it have the dark leaf veins and substantially lighter areas between the veins as we see in the picture?
That's so cool you did that! These pictures were taken today for the purpose of posting here. What you're pointing to is just a strong reflection of the light off of a Java Fern leaf. I took another, closer shot of that same area. You can see the leaf better (It's pearling). HOWEVER, you made me notice a newer Sword leaf (left of center) where the veins are lighter than the rest.
@pauld738: I prune as needed, which is as least once a month . . . I need to cull the Java Ferns! I just don't know what do do with them. I hate throwing them out! . . . . I really don't want to ditch all in one ferts! I'd rather under use it and supplement. But I don't know what I need!

I'm convincing myself that I've been lazy about the water changes!

1) I just finished a 5 gallon water change. I plan on doing another on Sunday. I'll keep up with the frequent water changes until the new test kit tells me levels are acceptable. Then I'll study my tank until I discover what the water change frequency needs to be, and how much. (I hope 5 gallons at a time eventually works!)

2) I ordered a new Seachem Nitrite/Nitrate test kit. I was not shaking the #2 bottle of the API Nitrate kit for the first 6 months of using it, so I cannot trust the results! It shows my tap-water has 20ppm Nitrate! According to my local Water Authority the High reading of Nitrate last year was less than 9ppm.

3) I added an extra Fluval C3 with Matrix media. I still was able to use the filter pad in the back, but all 250ml of the Matrix took up both the charcoal and bio-media chambers, but that's fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pearling and yellow veins-2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	889819  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-26-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @ZuppaDePesce,

Based upon the interveinal leaf puckering (puckering of the areas between the leaf veins) in the most recent photo and the marginal (and tip) leaf scorching in the first picture I suspect that the issue is insufficient available iron. Sometimes the issue can be caused by dosing the wrong type of iron (ETDA, DTPA, ferrous gluconate) for the pH of the tank but I don't think that is the issue with your tank. Easy Green is a 'low iron' fertilizer and interveinal chlorosis is not an uncommon issue, especially in higher tech tanks. Pick up a bottle of Seachem Iron and dose it per the instructions on the bottle for 3 - 4 weeks. Watch the new leaves as they emerge, do not watch the existing leaves....they will not change. Does the color of the new leaves look better? Do they look healthier? Watch these new leaves as they mature, they should not show the interveinal leaf puckering nor the scorched leaf margins. Let us know how thing are going as they progress.

Quote:
B. Terminal bud remaining alive. Symptoms on new growth.

1. Interveinal chlorosis on young leaves.

a. Interveinal chlorosis on young leaves with larger veins only remaining green. Necrotic spots usually absent; however, with extreme deficiencies, young leaves are almost white and may have necrotic margins and tips; necrotic spots may extend inward. potassium, zinc or copper excess can inhibit uptake of iron. High pH may also induce iron deficiency....iron deficiency

Iron deficiency symptoms are similar to those of magnesium deficiency, but iron deficiencies occur in young leaves first: Iron accumulated in older leaves is relatively immobile in the phloem.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:27 AM
Algae Grower

@Seattle_Aquarist knows his stuff. Follow his advice.

I was thinking about your use of root tabs. In my experience they do a great job with Java ferns. I'm wondering if your not using enough? You have alot of plant there so maybe it worked in the beginning but now not so much?
Not saying you don't get the seachem iron as your running co2 and my experience with tabs and ferns is without co2. But it may explain why it started happening.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @ZuppaDePesce,

Based upon the interveinal leaf puckering (puckering of the areas between the leaf veins) in the most recent photo and the marginal (and tip) leaf scorching in the first picture I suspect that the issue is insufficient available iron. Sometimes the issue can be caused by dosing the wrong type of iron (ETDA, DTPA, ferrous gluconate) for the pH of the tank but I don't think that is the issue with your tank. Easy Green is a 'low iron' fertilizer and interveinal chlorosis is not an uncommon issue, especially in higher tech tanks. Pick up a bottle of Seachem Iron and dose it per the instructions on the bottle for 3 - 4 weeks. Watch the new leaves as they emerge, do not watch the existing leaves....they will not change. Does the color of the new leaves look better? Do they look healthier? Watch these new leaves as they mature, they should not show the interveinal leaf puckering nor the scorched leaf margins. Let us know how thing are going as they progress.
In that photo above, the leaves that look puckered are Java Fern. The ones coming in from the left are the sword leaves. Regardless, thank you so much! I will do as you describe.
@pauld738: I only use the root tabs in proximity to the Hygrophila, Aponogeton, and Swords. I'm under the impression that Java Ferns are water column feeders, no?
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:38 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry, I meant the Swords!!

Don't know how I mixed that up.

And I'm answering a week late, lol!
ZuppaDePesce likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @ZuppaDePesce,

It's been a couple of weeks, any updates?
ZuppaDePesce likes this.

Roy_________

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Seattle_Aquarist: It's very cool of you to ask!
I think the main issue I need to deal with right now is high nitrates. As a newcomer to this level of aquarium keeping (in my second year), I feel like a lot has gone unnoticed and my good/bad habits are revealing themselves.

As I've stepped-up the frequency of my water changes, I've observed faster plant growth and increased pearling. Especially the Aponogeton Boivinianus! Even the fish are more active and less shy. I've added Flourish Iron to my weekly fert routine of Easy Green (and montly-ish Seachem root tabs). Some pesky emerging algae spots have gone away too.

I've added a second HOB filter with only Matrix media in it (full small bottle worth with a filter pad in front of it) and plan to add Aquavitro Seed when it arrives.

That's it for now.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode