2Likes
  • 1 Post By Darkblade48
  • 1 Post By MtAnimals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Effect of Muriatic Acid on TDS?

Does it make sense that the addition of small amounts (10-20 mL) of muriatic acid to my water raises the TDS somewhat significantly? Does it indicate the presence of something besides HCl in the muriatic acid solution?

Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think the increase in tds would be from the salts formed as the acid reacts with the calcium in the water,as well as any other alkaloids that might be present.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11264225

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:20 AM

As mentioned, the addition of HCl will increase TDS due to the contribution of the chloride anions.
livingstone likes this.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

About to Give Up on HCl

I incrementally added 130 ml of "green" muriatic acid to my uninhabited 65 gallon aquarium filled with my well water. After stabilizing a number of days, it's only down to a pH of 7.8 (from 9.0). I didn't check KH, after my most recent dosing, presuming it was still at 7 or 8 dKH (originally 11) judging from tests during previous doses. My old HM Digital COM-100 measured TDS at 351 NaCL @ 65 deg F, up from an original 222 prior to dosing any of the acid. It seems I'm getting the TDS a bit high for livestock (or maybe it was too high to begin with).

Any suggestions as to how high of a TDS reading is dangerous for the Caridina (amongst other small tetras and/or small rainbow fish) I'd like to keep?

It appears I'm going to have to figure out how to make my RO water convenient for water supply/changes and do a mix of well water and RO water rather than relying on the muriatic acid alone to get the water parameters acceptable.

Thanks,
Dan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You might consider peat filtering as well.You can get peat pellets,much cleaner to use.I had success using them years ago when I had a well with liquid rock and a ph that was off the scale of my kit.Managed to breed and raise angelfish successfully that way.

sorta imitates the conditions around the amazon and it's tributaries,or at least that was the theory.
livingstone likes this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do you know your GH? The TDS is probably fine unless you are trying to breed. The only thing high is your pH - which is generally the least of things to worry about. What are you testing pH with... I'm wondering if it's slightly over reading as 9 is quite high I'd have expected harder water. You might be better just picking fish that are tolerant of a wide range and seeing how they do than mucking about with acid which might be tricky to keep stable.

How wet is it where you are? Rainwater is another alternative to RO.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually my GH is quite soft at < 10 ppm (API test). I'm measuring pH with an older Milwaukee probe that I recently calibrated (high end) with 7 and 10 pH solutions. And I've used test strips with similar readings. The KH of my well water is 11 degrees according to the API test.

I've given up on using muriatic acid as the sole solution to bringing KH and pH down; it appears it will never achieve the lower pH/KH I'm seeking without sending the TDS exceedingly high, and, as you say, I doubt it will ever be stable. I already have RO but it wasn't convenient to where I'll be mixing my water. I've fixed that today (ran some tubing) and plan on using as much as necessary to bring the well water into acceptable parameters; in fact the tank water will probably be mostly RO. I will likely be using some method to dose calcium (and ferts).

I hadn't thought of rainwater but, yes, we have plenty here. I'll have to check that out along with melted snow.

Thanks a lot,
Dan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode