2Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By tinkerpuppet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
0/0/0 Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates

Just wondering if I should be concerned. As the title states, my water tests 0/0/0. It's been about 3 months now (cycled)and my tank is moderately planted waltsad method. Lots of floating plants, the plants in the subtrate look fairly healthy. Just wondering if I've reached a point of balance in my tank? Should I be concerned that there are no nitrates?

I also have about 10+ ramshorn's snails, lots of the bladder snails, a couple of endlers and 10+ cherry shrimp.

Lighting: Fluval 3.0 70%
Substrate: Miracle grow raised garden bed soil w/ BDBS cap
Filter : sunsun hw-603b
Heater : inline hydor(not being used)
Temp : 68-76 (
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 0
Kh : 1-2
Gh : 7-8
Ph : 7.7-8

I remineralize RO water with a diy gh booster recipe courtesy of @somewhatshocked (thank you btw!) posts. Also add baking soda for Kh.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
That's a small bioload, so it's likely your plants use up everything. Or your Nitrate kit isn't great. Or both.

Nitrate testing is notoriously wonky. When instructions say to shake vigorously for one minute? They mean it.

API kits can be difficult to discern. I find that Sera and a couple other brands are more easily read.

But concerned? Depends upon what your goals are and whether your plants need more nitrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
That's a small bioload, so it's likely your plants use up everything. Or your Nitrate kit isn't great. Or both.

Nitrate testing is notoriously wonky. When instructions say to shake vigorously for one minute? They mean it.

API kits can be difficult to discern. I find that Sera and a couple other brands are more easily read.

But concerned? Depends upon what your goals are and whether your plants need more nitrate.
I shake/slap the heck out of that nitrate kit, especially that second bottle. Well my goal is to just leave it as low tech. Just wondering if there's anything I should be watching out for jic. Never had 0 readings before aside from pre cycling. I don't test frequently anymore. I did test the day before I received my shrimp.

Well anyway, thanks for the prompt reply.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are your floaters still going strong? They can really suck up nitrates and phosphates. You only really to have about 1/4-1/3 of tank surface covered to do the job. You try might upping your feeding amounts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Are your floaters still going strong? They can really suck up nitrates and phosphates. You only really to have about 1/4-1/3 of tank surface covered to do the job. You try might upping your feeding amounts.
I leave it covered like this. Thinning it out a little bit at a time. Everything underneath is okay, I think due to the soil capped with sand. Some of the floaters turn yellow, but not the majority of them. Even after I thin it out, it covers right back up again.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Itís super easy to keep floaters thinned out to fit your tanks needs but itís a weekly job. You really only need about 1/3 as many in that tank.

If your getting yellowing in floaters you probably need a balanced fert like reg thrive or their EI/PPS dry kit and dose at 1/3 strength 2-3 times a week. You probably have complete depletion of micros with that many floaters.

Any phosphate readings?
Econde likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't plan on dosing any ferts. I still have my NPK & csm+b pack from nilocg. If I want to keep my floaters the way I am keeping them, you're right I probably need to start fertilizing. I don't have a phosphate test kit.

I appreciate how the floaters scrub my water clean though and also like how it filters the light a bit.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's interesting you posted this, I'm going through the same thing right now on both my tanks. One tank cycled since April, one for 3+mths, and for the last month or so I'm also reading 0/0/0. I even took my water into my LFS in case something was off with my test kit, and they got the same reading (on both tanks).

So far what I've been able to figure out is I have moderate-heavy planted tank, understocked, not overfeeding, so the plants are using everything up. I didn't realize that was even possible!

I do dose Tropica once a week during water changes. Will switch to something else when I finish it probably. And I do have root tabs as well.
Econde likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpuppet View Post
It's interesting you posted this, I'm going through the same thing right now on both my tanks. One tank cycled since April, one for 3+mths, and for the last month or so I'm also reading 0/0/0. I even took my water into my LFS in case something was off with my test kit, and they got the same reading (on both tanks).

So far what I've been able to figure out is I have moderate-heavy planted tank, understocked, not overfeeding, so the plants are using everything up. I didn't realize that was even possible!

I do dose Tropica once a week during water changes. Will switch to something else when I finish it probably. And I do have root tabs as well.
Nice. Yea I think we're on the same boat. It's pretty nice, just confusing at first. I have mixed up a small batch of macro and micro mix. Just the regular EI dosing 10-20 gallon recommendation in 50mL of water. I'll start dosing some (10mL throughout the week) if I see any deficiencies in my floating plants. My rooted plants are gathering nutrients from the substrate.

Really didn't want to fertilize but If I want to keep the covered look, I have to keep up with the nutrient demands as well.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode