Seachem Excel wonít ship to CA? - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Excel wonít ship to CA?

I tried ordering some Excel on Amazon, Iíve purchased it this way several times. Except now it will not ship to CA. I tried multiple addresses and all of them are a no go.

Anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have any insight as to why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

The ingredients, the bottle and the ink on the bottle are probably known to the State of California to cause cancer (just about everything is). See if you have any better luck with Metricide 14 or NilocG's Enhance. You might also try a chat session with Amazon to find out why.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yep, CA is so progressive with stuff like this. I'm in Ca right now from the East coast and I couldn't even get a straw at a restaurant. At first I thought the waiter was being lazy, but then I realized it was the law.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This is so ridiculous. The state of CA is known to cause cancer...I canít wait to be out of this state.

Iíll try the other solutions, hopefully theyíre effective at killing algae too.

|
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:36 AM
Planted Member

I live in CA and I like many mentioned in here I don't like CA and the ridiculous laws we have.

But really dude, all these "liquid carbon" stuff is known to be extremely harmful. You think you put it in the tank and it's over? How many times a day do you stick your hands into the water? Did you ever think that this stuff evaporates and you and your family might be breathing it?

If you want carbon then get a CO2 system and don't fk with Excel. If you have algae problems use Hydrogen Peroxide or other less harmful preparates and of course try to understand what is causing your algae in the first place, don't just treat the consequences.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I live in CA and I like many mentioned in here I don't like CA and the ridiculous laws we have.

But really dude, all these "liquid carbon" stuff is known to be extremely harmful. You think you put it in the tank and it's over? How many times a day do you stick your hands into the water? Did you ever think that this stuff evaporates and you and your family might be breathing it?

If you want carbon then get a CO2 system and don't fk with Excel. If you have algae problems use Hydrogen Peroxide or other less harmful preparates and of course try to understand what is causing your algae in the first place, don't just treat the consequences.

Pffft Hahahahaha.
Oh boy, one of these! I know what Iím doing, inject co2, and have used Excel for years. Donít lecture me.

sudhirr and Desert Pupfish like this.

|
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Planted Member

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:10 AM
Planted Member

Have you tried Metricide 28 instead of Seachem? It is the same stuff just a lot cheaper! Maybe Metricide hasn't been banned in CA yet?

Here is the correct dosing link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1568618171778

Last edited by Oughtsix; 09-16-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very strange. I ordered 1/2 gal off Amazon about a month ago--no issues.

Went on my amazon account to check it out. It accepted my shipping address, but I didn't complete the transaction. Maybe the no ship notice doesn't kick in until you try to complete the transaction? They now have nearby Amazon lockers you can ship to instead--did you try one of those?

What happened when you clicked on the "learn more" button? I'd definitely ask them to see what the issue is. Let us know what you find out, and if you have the same issues with Metricide
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No reason to buy it, it does not add anything but a harsh algecide to the tank that damages plant cell structure and harms your fish, it does not add c02 to the tank like they claim, it does add a carbon source but not in any amount to benefit plant growth, not to mention it has a negative impact on your health as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
No reason to buy it, it does not add anything but a harsh algecide to the tank that damages plant cell structure and harms your fish, it does not add c02 to the tank like they claim, it does add a carbon source but not in any amount to benefit plant growth, not to mention it has a negative impact on your health as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Itís very useful in certain applications, I donít use it as a regular supplement. I didnít ask about its uses, thanks though.

|
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Since you've used glut, you know how beneficial it is in terms of plant growth (low-tech setups) and as an algaecide (hair-type algae) and how to handle it responsibly. The horrors of using glut are unfounded when used responsibly ...just like many of the things we add to our tanks. If you find out why it can't be shipped to CA, please post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
Have you tried Metricide 28 instead of Seachem?
It is the Metricide 14 that should be used, not the Metricide 28. Metricide 28 contains surfactants, which should not be used in an aquarium. Also, be sure to NOT use the "activator" that comes with the Metricide.
varanidguy and Asteroid like this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Umm, something is odd. I doubt it's an item being shipped into California, a lot of the items shipped by Amazon are already here, especially the Prime items. Plus almost every pet store sells Excel. Let us know if you find anything, nothing came up in my search of the issue. Did anything come up when the "Learn More" link was clicked?
varanidguy likes this.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Umm, something is odd. I doubt it's an item being shipped into California, a lot of the items shipped by Amazon are already here, especially the Prime items. Plus almost every pet store sells Excel. Let us know if you find anything, nothing came up in my search of the issue. Did anything come up when the "Learn More" link was clicked?

Yes, unfortunately it was very vague and said itís possibly due to hazmat restrictions. Ironically enough, the larger, more expensive bottle will ship. I decided to give the NilocG Enhance a try since itís virtually the same.

I mainly want it to eradicate the last of a green hair algae I had break out in a 10g nano tank. I was laid up and unable to do maintenance for the better part of a week, as a result the water level dropped due to no top offs, causing a co2 fluctuation and resulted in an algae bloom. Itís been brought under control but I donít feel like throwing away crypt pink flamingo or pogostemon downoi, so my plan was to kill off the algae (hopefully) to salvage the plants.

From there I may see if it provides a good benefit to a recently established 75 low tech tank.

Ken Keating1 and Bon MotMot like this.

|
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I just got a 2 liter of Excel delivered to me from Amazon on 9/16.
Thats just weird.
varanidguy and Ken Keating1 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode