RO vs RO/DI - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO vs RO/DI

I'm already set up with a nice RO/DI due to the saltwater tanks and plan on using it for the planted due to the high chlorine/chloramines in our city water.
But for a planted, do I need the DI? Or maybe the question is, should I use the DI or am I better of just using the RO? Would there be any appreciable difference in the amount I would need to remineralize?
Anything else I should be thinking about?
Basically just wondering if using the DI would be a waste of money or not.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:58 PM
Planted Member

If DI was free I would but the amount of water I change it lasts about a month. I tried once but didn't want to keep up with the replacement before it exhausted. I probably had alot of ions leeching from the used up DI and decided to just go RO.

So if you have a cheap source of DI and arn't lazy then why not. It certainly isn't needed though and I bet you wouldn't notice a difference either way. I remineralized the same for both but am relatively new to RO and others can chime in.

Love your build by the way, following along in your journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:16 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have an overkill RO/DI system from when I made saltwater for my store. It's worked well for my freshwater needs. I wouldn't bypass the DI if in your shoes, and will replace my own DI cartridge when I need to rather than skip it. I certainly can't see how it makes "worse" water by being more purified.
markf likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
If DI was free I would but the amount of water I change it lasts about a month. I tried once but didn't want to keep up with the replacement before it exhausted. I probably had alot of ions leeching from the used up DI and decided to just go RO.

So if you have a cheap source of DI and arn't lazy then why not. It certainly isn't needed though and I bet you wouldn't notice a difference either way. I remineralized the same for both but am relatively new to RO and others can chime in.

Love your build by the way, following along in your journal.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I have an overkill RO/DI system from when I made saltwater for my store. It's worked well for my freshwater needs. I wouldn't bypass the DI if in your shoes, and will replace my own DI cartridge when I need to rather than skip it. I certainly can't see how it makes "worse" water by being more purified.
Thanks, and ya... i have it so my initial thought was why not. But then I'm thinking... I'm going to have to remineralize anyway, so is using the DI just a waste of money?
I'm no water chemistry expert so I don't know if there is anything that would be left in the water (if going RO only) that would cause problems.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:09 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Not much in my estimation, but my RO/DI comes out at 0 TDS, and when I had a hobby RO system, it was in the double digits. So *something* is getting past the DI.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have an inexpensive RO buddy without Di. The main reason I use it is rather high kh and dh. When the cartridges are new, I get a TDS of about 6. I don't bother replacing the cartridges until the tds is about 60 which, takes about 6 months. I remineralize to a kh of 2 and dh of 4. I'm not sure I would see the benefit of di unless I had high copper or something. My water supply doesn't use chloramines and the ro water sits for a day or two so, chlorine wouldn't be an issue anyway. Unless your water has high chloramines or other contaminant, I'm not sure you'd realize a benefit from di.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Planted Member

I also have an expensive RO unit but no DI. My tapwater is so hard that even after passing through the RO it measures 41 tds.
I mix in about 10% tapwater to get tds to about 120 ppm and ph to 7 or so.
Our local water does contain chloramines but I've never bothered with dechlorinator for the RO water and have not for years.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Personally at my old house I used tap water for some of my tanks and RO water for others. Had way fewer algae problems in the tanks I just used the remineralized RO water. Water quality is going to vary drastically from different areas or towns but many are full of all sorts of bad things that are not ideal for aquariums.

Right now at my new house I have a well and our ground water is very polluted from farm and septic runoff (40 year battle to have a sewer installed. There was even a book written about it) and if you dig your well deeper to get away from the nitrates you hit salt water intrusion from the bay. So I have RO for my tanks but it only gets my water down to about 5 or 6 ppm Nitrates and 28 TDS. Kind of a drag but best I can do.

Considering seeing if I can add a DI system but not sure how expensive changing the resin ends up being. Oh and I sure as hell am not drinking my water. Even though technically 6 ppm nitrate is supposed to be safe I buy bottled water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode