new RO and hi pH - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
new RO and hi pH

Hello, I bought a new RO unit for general household use; it's super nice and easy to use for my everyday drinking water.

Can I use this for my fish tank: TDS is about 50, kH 3 and GH 3, but the pH is 8.5! It is a small 10 gallon planted cube and I want to keep mosquito or some other small raspbora, otos, and dwarf goby.

I guess if I had to I could buy RO water and mix it? I really cannot haul large bottles every week! Any comments would be very helpful!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:22 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah you can get splitters from Amazon. And tubing as well. $10 for 100’ LDPE. My split goes from under my sink to the basement on the other side of the home where I prepare the water
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Yeah you can get splitters from Amazon. And tubing as well. $10 for 100 LDPE. My split goes from under my sink to the basement on the other side of the home where I prepare the water
Hello, not sure what you mean. This is not a whole house unit, just a countertop, not plumbed in. Can I use this water with these parameters in my tank?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
Hello, not sure what you mean. This is not a whole house unit, just a countertop, not plumbed in. Can I use this water with these parameters in my tank?
They were just mentioning that they split it off from one source into two. One for their drinking and the other for their aquarium needs.

And yes you can use that for your tank. I would suggest to look into raising the GH to at least 6 if you plan to use it for your tank. Or you can mix it in with your tap water like 50/50 for example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Last edited by Econde; 09-10-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Can I use this for my fish tank: TDS is about 50, kH 3 and GH 3, but the pH is 8.5! It is a small 10 gallon planted cube and I want to keep mosquito or some other small raspbora, otos, and dwarf goby.
Something does not seem right.

RO water should be zero KH and pH near 7.0. And even at 3 KH, pH should be at about 7.3/7.4 fully degassed.

Are you adding anything to bring the KH up to 3? Are you measuring water in the tank? Directly from the RO unit? Letting the water settle/age for a few days? How are you measuring pH?

Just seems like something is missing from this picture.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Something does not seem right.

RO water should be zero KH and pH near 7.0. And even at 3 KH, pH should be at about 7.3/7.4 fully degassed.

Are you adding anything to bring the KH up to 3? Are you measuring water in the tank? Directly from the RO unit? Letting the water settle/age for a few days? How are you measuring pH?

Just seems like something is missing from this picture.
Hi, thanks for comments. I did make a rookie mistake! I took the initial readings with water from the RO unit, I did not let the water sit. After sitting overnight, I got a reading of TDS 35, pH 7.5, dKH and dGH at 2. I have a TDS meter and the Sera test kits. Much better, right?

This is a countertop 4 stage RO unit made to produce drinking water, so they focus on taste! Zero Installation Purifier.

This unit has a filter for Alkaline pH or a new filter which gives 0 TDS.

I could bring up the dKH, dGH with equilibrium or Salty Shrimp. I could also mix with RO I buy from the store where the pH is 7 and 0 KH. My tap water is nasty. Is a pH of 7 too low so I should try to mix and bring the pH and dKH and dGH it up a bit? Is there one approach more desirable?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hi, thanks for comments. I did make a rookie mistake! I took the initial readings with water from the RO unit, I did not let the water sit. After sitting overnight, I got a reading of TDS 35, pH 7.5, dKH and dGH at 2. I have a TDS meter and the Sera test kits. Much better, right?

This is a countertop 4 stage RO unit made to produce drinking water, so they focus on taste! Zero Installation Purifier.

This unit has a filter for Alkaline pH or a new filter which gives 0 TDS.

I could bring up the dKH, dGH with equilibrium or Salty Shrimp. I could also mix with RO I buy from the store where the pH is 7 and 0 KH. My tap water is nasty. Is a pH of 7 too low so I should try to mix and bring the pH and dKH and dGH it up a bit? Is there one approach more desirable?
Aha that makes more sense.

So you have an Alkaline pH filter that brings up KH/GH/pH just a bit, correct?

If so, KH 2 is fine and in fact desirable for the plant side of the equation. You will probably want to bump GH a bit (6 to 8). All you need is CaSO4 and MgSO4.

And good to see another Michigander here!

------------------
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ha, yea Michigan, we are having summer in the fall now! Now if Michigan would just get their football in shape.

Thanks so much for your input! Yes, I have the alkaline pH filter which sounds like it is fine, no need to get the 0 TDS one? I am going to test again just to check myself!

I was using Shrimpy GH/KH+ as I was thinking of adding shrimp. Is this one ok? Or Equilibrium? I am not familiar with the CaS04 and MgS04 and where to get or how to use. I will research; I image it is calcium and magnesium. I do use Excel, UNS all in one plant food, UNS controsoil and some seiryu stone.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode