2Likes
  • 1 Post By Edward
  • 1 Post By Edward

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Fert Recipe help - GLA adjustment with equilibrium

I'm a week into my first attempt at making my own solutions for aquarium fertilizer and have learned enough to get confused and need help.

I'm working on a ten gallon aquarium with vallisneria, anubias nana petite, and some giant duckweed. My maintence schedule is a 75% water change weekly. I want to use the PPS Pro system with two daily doses of 1ml, macros in the AM and micros in the PM. So I figured going with GLA's recipe would be a good start but now I'm not so sure. Their recipe is as follows-

• K2SO4 – 29.3 grams
  • KNO3 – 32.6 grams
  • KH2PO4 – 2.9 grams
  • MgSO4 – 20.2 grams
per 500ml for a 1ml dose per day

• Plantex CSM+B – 14.3 grams
per 500ml for a 1ml dose per day

My issue is that GLA doesn't provide a reason why calcium is excluded from the mix and magnesium is in it. I would like to tailor my ferts to provide everything my plants would need in two 1ml doses per day. My thought was to exclude MgSO4 from the macros and add SeaChem Equilibrium to bring in Ca and Mg.

Where I need help is I don't know how to balance out the recipe with this adjustment and if SeaChem Equilibrium should be mixed with the macros or micros?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Why not locate your Water Works water analysis report and see if your tap has enough Ca and Mg? And there is zero reason to dose macros in the AM and micros in the PM. They can be dosed together, and the best time is before lights on.
TheDukeAnumber1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Why not locate your Water Works water analysis report and see if your tap has enough Ca and Mg? And there is zero reason to dose macros in the AM and micros in the PM. They can be dosed together, and the best time is before lights on.

I did locate them, and they use tetra test strips that say my water is hard on their GH scale (I live on a well). So I'm pretty sure I could omit adding Ca and Mg hoping my GH contains enough of both. That being said I do have a couple other tanks where I would like to try a "complete" fertilizer solution. And ty for the dosing advice, I thought the macros/micros might react, I do put them in at lights out though.

So I ran some numbers on Rotala Butterfly and I can replace K2SO4 and MgSO4 with Seachem Equilibrium up to the target ppm for K, and the resulting Ca and Mg will leave me only 20%-30%-ish under the target for PPS-pro. And hopefully the Equilibrium won't react with the trace? Am I way off here or will this maybe work?

Thanks again

update: Apparently rotalabutterfly does no tell you how much seachem can dissolve in solution. Idea is a no go. I will stick with regular PPS-pro and adjust from there after testing my water.

Also just found out Edward made the PPS-pro system. Still learning here......

Last edited by TheDukeAnumber1; 09-10-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: update

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

GH is made of Ca and Mg. You may have one or the other or any combination of both. The best would be to get GH and Ca readings and calculate Mg. Also need to know KH and TDS. This is the best way to start because you donít want to be adding more minerals if it is not needed.
TheDukeAnumber1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode