Which Fertz or what mineral/s is/are lacking? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Berta
  • 1 Post By Berta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which Fertz or what mineral/s is/are lacking?

I am dosing NPK fertz plus Easy Lifr ProFito micro fertz but still i have these..sorry for the pix, i just feed my discus when i saw these..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_080049_1567923128354.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	886725  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Berta,

Since Easy-Life if more typically sold in Europe than the U.S. I am guessing that is where you are located? I am not a huge fan of Easy-Life Profito because it contains no nitrogen (nitrates / NO3) nor does it contain any phosphates (PO4). What the product states is:
Quote:
All the necessary nutrients in a single product, such as iron, potassium and manganese
Obviously iron (Fe), potassium (K), and manganese (Mn) are not "all the necessary nutrients" which explains why you are dosing NPK separately.

I can tell you what the nutrient deficiencies appear to be however I cannot tell you why you have the issues without more information. Could you please provide the following (answer what you can):

Tank size (liters or U.S. gallons) =

pH =

dKH =

dGH =

nitrates (ppm of NO3) =

Also what are your dosing specifically for N, P, and K?

How much are you dosing of each?

How many times per week?

Do you do a weekly water change? If so how much water volume.

Looking forward to your reply.

-Roy

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi @Seattle_Aquarist,

Thanks for your reply. And yes I am from Austria.
And to answer your questions:
I have 650 liter discus aquarium. PH is aroung 7.0 to 7.5. Hardness is 10-15Gh and 6-9Kh.
Now, i have 3.0ppm of NO3.
I am using PEP Dunger (Fertz) shown in the pix and dosing 60ml per 2days.
Weekly waterchange at about 50%.

Thanks and have a nice day ahead,
Berta
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NPK.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	886773  

Last edited by Berta; 09-09-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: to address person

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Berta,

My wife and I have had the opportunity to visit Wein (aka Vienna) many years ago. Wonderful city with excellent public transportation and sausage carts!

The most likely nutrient issue appears to be magnesium (Mg) related. This would cause the 'cupping' of the leaves and the interveinal chlorosis on the older leaves leading to loss of chlorophyll and eventual loss of older leaves. With a dGH of 10 - 15 and a dKH of 6 - 9 I doubt if you are lacking calcium (although testing the water for calcium may be a good idea). I suggest adding some magnesium to your dosing schedule. The easiest way to do this is add some Epsom Salt (MgSO4 / Magnesium Sulfate) to your dosing schedule. Since this is a discus tank I suggest starting with three (3) teaspoons (approx 13 grams) dosed when you do your water change. This will add approximately 2.5 ppm of Mg to your tank and will increase the hardness by 0.6 dGH. It should not effect the dKH nor the pH.

You should start to see an improvement in about 30 days. Because Mg is a mobile nutrient the plant 'steals' Mg from older leaves and moves it to new growth. Damage to any existing leaves is already started so they may continue to decline as you have currently seen. However, any new leaves that form after you have increased the Mg levels should stay green and not develop the interveinal chlorosis or 'cupping' as they mature. They should also not drop off prematurely.

After 30 days take a few more pictures and let's see how the plants look. I am concerned that the iron (Fe) in the Easy-Life Profito may be ETDA chelated and therefore with a pH of 7.0 - 7.5 minimally available to plants. Keep us posted as things progress!
-Roy

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

What about lighting, CO2 and dosage amounts/freq of profito dosing, all I see in pic are low light plants.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello @Seattle_Aquarist,

Indeed, it is a beautiful country especially in Vienna on winter time

Profito has a traces of manganese, iron and potassium. But I do not know the percentage content since it is a mixture of minerals when i place 60ml for 600 liters.
May i ask a stupid question? what is the difference between manganese and magnesium?

Do you mean when I have a 7.0 - 7.5 Ph, Iron can not sufficiently absorb by the plants? Do I need to lower this level?

I am using 4x Solar Stinger Sunstrip (different sizes) with total wattage of 94 watts. Six hours of light. Mostly anubias plus crypts. Javafern, tiger lotus in the middle, ludwiga and Red Echinodorus at the back.

Regulated Co2 is 2 bubbles per second that can make the dropchecker to turn light green before the (auto) lights on.

Thanks,

Here is my aquarium... fishes are ok.. it is the plant i am struggling 😥
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190901_165409_1568103158413.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	886817  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-11-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

EI Daily dose of Profito is 27.1ml, that will deliver .25ppm magnesium to your tank per week total. Almost non existent, almost no potassium either but your dosing that in your NPK. So Seattle aquarist diagnosis fits. If I remember easy life is a multi component system so your probably missing one them that you should be using. With your low demand plants you probably wonít need heavy dosing so 20ml profito daily probably more than enough.

Also do you test your phosphate, you nitrate level being so low Iím sure you phosphate is almost non existent.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

On the contrary, I have a high N03 and PO4 ranging 40mg/li and 2mg/li respectively on the last day of WC.
That is why, I am dosing NPK only after the WC and only K (separate bottle) every 2 days. Discus is like a pig who eats a lot (several times) in one day that is why I have high nitrates. To control these, need to have plants to absorbs these NO3.

Ok, will try to add magnesium using EPSOM salt.
I will inform you if i have a success or not.

Thanks, BErta
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Berta,

Quote:
what is the difference between manganese and magnesium?

Do you mean when I have a 7.0 - 7.5 Ph, Iron can not sufficiently absorb by the plants? Do I need to lower this level?
Manganese (Mn) and Magnesium (Mg) may sound similar but they are totally different elements / nutrients. Both are 'mobile' nutrients meaning the plant can 'move' the nutrient from older leaves to areas of new growth....this causes deficiency symptoms to occur in the older leaves. Magnesium (Mg) is a 'Secondary Nutrient', it is not as critical for healthy growth in plants as 'Macro Nutrients' (N, P, K) but it is more critical than 'Micro Nutrients' including manganese (Mn). Here is a good chart of the various plant nutrients showing whether they are 'mobile' or not and what function they facilitate in the plant.

Yes, iron comes in many forms. The most common (and economical) is EDTA Chelated iron. Unfortunately EDTA chelated iron is not as readily available to plants when the pH is above 7.0. However, as you can see from the referenced list Magnesium can effect the uptake of Iron. Let's try adding the additional Epsom Salt and see how the plants look in a month or so. Feel free to contact me with pictures of new growth as things progress. I do not recommend adjusting the pH for the plants, the discus are the critical species in the tank.

Roy_________

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 09-10-2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: ..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta View Post
On the contrary, I have a high N03 and PO4 ranging 40mg/li and 2mg/li respectively on the last day of WC.
That is why, I am dosing NPK only after the WC and only K (separate bottle) every 2 days. Discus is like a pig who eats a lot (several times) in one day that is why I have high nitrates. To control these, need to have plants to absorbs these NO3.

Ok, will try to add magnesium using EPSOM salt.
I will inform you if i have a success or not.

Thanks, BErta
So you mean you have 3ppm nitrate only right after doing water change?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Morning @Seattle_Aquarist,

Yes, after water change I have 5-10mg/liter. Please have a look at water content in my place.
My water has already 4mg/l of Nitrate and 23.3 mg/li of Magnesium. And as i've heard, we need only 10mg/li in the planted aquarium.
I think, Potassium is lacking in my aquarium, do u agree?

Thanks, Berta
Attached Images

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Berta,

Easy-Life makes a freshwater potassium test kit. https://www.easylife.eu/products/fre...ssium-test-kit Why not pick one up and test your water. Because there is 4.1 ppm of nitrogen in your water already you don't need to dose a lot of nitrogen in the NPK. Since the NPK likely has the nitrogen in the form of potassium nitrate (KNO3) you may indeed be low on potassium. The only way to tell for sure is to test your tank and see.

Roy_________

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi @Seattle_Aquarist,

That is what I am thinking yesterday. To buy an extra testkit for Magnessium and Potassium.
I am now keen to buy also a separate K fertilizer since I do have already nitrogen directly in my water.

thanks for your answers, i will back on you after 1 month.

Cheers man, Berta
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode