Dosing just curious poll - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing just curious poll

I am curious as to your methodology of dosing;

How many here using Tom Barrs Estimative Index for dosing? Dosing at higher levels but maintaining proper ratios and re-setting the tank with 50+% water changes.

Or do you does to target levels? Test/measure and dose accordingly. If so how often do you test and dose per week?

I was always a test and dose kind of person but the last 2-months I have been dosing per Toms EI. I have to admit it requires less time, less testing and the results have been pretty darn good. But I am still paranoid that my uptake levels dont match the dose levels and leaves me with higher numbers.

If you do something different please share and if you see a problem with any of the above please share as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm a month and a half behind you. Previously, I was dosing up to target levels at a water change, attempting (thinking about?) testing throughout the week, seldom noticing changes and then change and re-up the ferts. I found that when I added micros mid-week, it caused algae blooms, so it kept scaring me away. But, now I'm of the opinion that I just need to dose throughout the week with macros/micros on alternating days (as the 'high-light' Barr method describes), and let the tank go through whatever algae growth it wants to until it adjusts. I'm already starting to see better results with certain plants (most noteably, my fairly, new Stargrass).

Brian.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I am dosing as low as possible. That leaves me with slower plant growth, and perhaps healthier fish. As low as possible but still maintaining healthy plants. If they start to turn white pale and yellow, I know I need to increase NO3. If swords start to get pinholes and black spots, I know I am running low on K. But all in all, I don't mind if levels go down to zero for a little while, plants have some storage and relocation abilities for nutrients.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I am always playing around with my ferts. I don't really have any high light plants anymore. I have cut my lighting down and will probably only dose a fraction of what I have been.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeItUp

How many here using Tom Barrs Estimative Index for dosing? Dosing at higher levels but maintaining proper ratios and re-setting the tank with 50+% water changes.

Or do you does to target levels? Test/measure and dose accordingly. If so how often do you test and dose per week?

I was always a test and dose kind of person but the last 2-months I have been dosing per Toms EI. I have to admit it requires less time, less testing and the results have been pretty darn good. But I am still paranoid that my uptake levels dont match the dose levels and leaves me with higher numbers.

If you do something different please share and if you see a problem with any of the above please share as well.
I'm doing basically what you are now and share the same concern regarding the buildup of really high nutrients (I started the Barr method 2 weeks ago and tested my nitrate at 20 and my phosphate at over 2 on sunday before my last water change)...BUT my substrate algae is gone...literally wiped out in a week! So as far as measuring and testing, I think I'm going to leave all that alone and just do what has been working for me now on.

By the ways, I follow the macro-micro alternating day dosing schedule.

Re-boot!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeItUp

I have been doing this for awhile now, and the results are outstanding, with 4+ wpg and C02 @ 30ppm. The plant growth has been great, I have several difficult plants in the tank with a few easy growers as well to help offset possible excess nutrients, even my tonina sp. is looking perfect.
day1) 70% water change and dose kno3 p04 k2s04 based on water volume
day2) trace 10ml
day3)kn03 p04
day4) same as day 2 etc.

with 2 tanks one high light the other low light both with C02 dosing consistantly week after week, based on plant mass and water volume, the results are great, its much easier to do without all the testing as you mentioned with much more rewards.

Craig

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:40 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
For you guys who follow Tom Barr's method and don't test, do you use RO water? I found that the N and P content in my tap water vary from time to time. For example, in the summer time, it has 8ppm N and 0 P. Now it has 0 N and 1ppm P.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:06 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use tap water. My plan was to test NO3 and PO4 after a water change and based on the results, reset up to 10 and 1-0.5 respectively. If the levels are too high, I'll consider dropping my mid-week dosing totals.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWu
For you guys who follow Tom Barr's method and don't test, do you use RO water? I found that the N and P content in my tap water vary from time to time. For example, in the summer time, it has 8ppm N and 0 P. Now it has 0 N and 1ppm P.
I use tap water but we are blessed with great water. I was testing 2-3X per week before and now using the Estimative Index I test once every 2-weeks and adjust as necessary.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:55 PM

My tap water is 8dKh and 11dGh, so I figure with 50% water changes at least every 14 days, usually 7-10 days, I have plenty of calcium and magnesium, so I don't dose any epsom salts.

My 75 tends to have plenty of nitrates, and phosphates are usually within balance, so much of my dosing is K and traces (including Iron). I try to dose traces every 2-3 days, alternating a little iron on the other days. After a W/C I dose about 15ppm K, and then midway to next W/C I try to dose another 5-10ppm of K, kind of going off how the plants look and how much they have grown in the last 4 days.

In other words, kind of a lazy estimative index, aiming for the targeted range of macros, and assuming traces are all good.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Recently I started using a dosing pump to dose N, P, and K each morning. Traces and Fe twice a week. And 50% water change weekly. This is not exactly the IE dosing schedule.

But I am dosing to the IE recommended levels, and due to the daily dosing pump, they pretty much stay pegged there for NP (K assumed). This is a constant level somewhat higher than I'm used to...

But the killer is, algae growth has almost stopped completely! The plants pearl most of the day, every day. And everything is growing like crazy. Even my annubias are going thru a growth spurt, and they HATE to grow.

I don't get it. At these levels, I would think I'd be crawling with algae.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode