CO2 with high KH and pH - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By stevewb
  • 1 Post By LadyDay
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Question CO2 with high KH and pH

Hi.

I am completely, completely new to pressurized CO2 (or any other form of CO2) and just bought my first equipment, so I'm trying to learn everything, which is a challenge indeed!
My water, out the tap, has high KH (18 degrees) and pH (about 7.4). As far as I understand from what I've been reading that means I can inject enormous amounts of CO2 without the plants getting any (pH above 7)? Does this mean I have a problem and should expect using A LOT of gas? In that case, would peat in the filter help? (First Sera ph/KH minus, followed by Sera Super Peat in the filter. I have these products already, just not in use).
My fish will be happy with lower KH and pH.
The tank is 325 liter (86 gallons).
The system I've bought is this: https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/co2...-pro-p509.html With an 80 mm Bazooka Atomizer.
LadyDay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Quagulator's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Forest City ON, Canada
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post
Hi.

I am completely, completely new to pressurized CO2 (or any other form of CO2) and just bought my first equipment, so I'm trying to learn everything, which is a challenge indeed!
My water, out the tap, has high KH (18 degrees) and pH (about 7.4). As far as I understand from what I've been reading that means I can inject enormous amounts of CO2 without the plants getting any (pH above 7)? Does this mean I have a problem and should expect using A LOT of gas? In that case, would peat in the filter help? (First Sera ph/KH minus, followed by Sera Super Peat in the filter. I have these products already, just not in use).
My fish will be happy with lower KH and pH.
The tank is 325 liter (86 gallons).
The system I've bought is this: https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/co2...-pro-p509.html With an 80 mm Bazooka Atomizer.
Any amount of CO2 you inject is available to the plants.

You will need tons of gas, but not out-of-the-realm amounts. Easily do-able. Just watch your pH drop and aim for a 1.0 - 1.3 drop from injecting CO2.

I wouldn't try the use chemicals to lower kH / pH just yet... Pick plants that aren't super reliant on uber soft water.
LadyDay likes this.

__________________________________

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quagulator is online now  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Thank you for the reply.
Hope it won't get too expensive in CO2. I need the 2 kg cylinder to last at least a couple of months preferably. You're probably right that it's not a good idea to start playing with lowering KH at the moment, having just started with CO2.
LadyDay is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower
 
stevewb's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Milan, Mi
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I wouldn't try the use chemicals to lower kH / pH just yet... Pick plants that aren't super reliant on uber soft water.
+1 been there done that won’t try again. RO got my water down from about 20 degrees kH. I was able to get great growth on most plants with the high kH and CO2 as well before I went RO. But some plants just wouldn’t take
LadyDay likes this.
stevewb is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
+1 been there done that won’t try again. RO got my water down from about 20 degrees kH. I was able to get great growth on most plants with the high kH and CO2 as well before I went RO. But some plants just wouldn’t take
R.O. does sound like a more stable way of doing it than using peat. I'll see how the plants do. I've got easy plants (according to Tropicas rating system), so hopefully that means they aren't too sensitive to water hardness.
Quagulator likes this.
LadyDay is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome