• 1 Post By n70me
  • 1 Post By Darkblade48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile DIY chelated Fe?

Hi All,

Sorry to spam . Don't think a thread on DIY fe exists.

Can some suggest how to make a DIY Fe chelated for planted aquarium preferably with DTPA with Ferrous or ferric sulphate.

I have a Ferric Sulphate(Fe2(So4)3) 500g bottle lying in my shelf and i feel it is of no use so far which i brought some how some time back. Can this be chelated with DTPA?

I general if some can say how much amount of Fe(Ferrous or ferric sulphate or any other Fe compound)
and how much amount of DTPA to mix? To achieve a 0.1PPM of Fe for 500ml container per a 5ml dose.

Would of great help.

My Fe2(So4)3 bottle.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:10 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have not tried myself, but Sigma (owned by Merck) does apparently have a protocol for this:

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technic...-solution.html

Edit: My apologies, the protocol is for ferrous sulfate, and not the ferric version you have. I'll leave it up for those that are interested, however.

It might be more trouble than it's worth, but you can consider trying to reduce the ferric to ferrous sulfate before proceeding

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.

Ive seen this but it is EDTA.Looking for a DTPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I have not tried myself, but Sigma (owned by Merck) does apparently have a protocol for this:

Edit: My apologies, the protocol is for ferrous sulfate, and not the ferric version you have. I'll leave it up for those that are interested, however.

It might be more trouble than it's worth, but you can consider trying to reduce the ferric to ferrous sulfate before proceeding

How to reduce ferric to ferrous sulfate ? is there a way?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-29-2019 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:15 AM

DTPA should be similar to EDTA chelation; the only difference should be pH stability.

For reduction of ferric to ferrous cations, you can do it chemically, but that would introduce unwanted species into your solution. You can also do it electrochemically, but it would take more time/energy/effort than just buying the proper stuff from the get go, to be honest.
Greggz likes this.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hwy @n70me good to see you over here.

I didn't think it was going to be easy.

Like mentioned above, seems a lot easier to just get some DTPA.

------------------
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

what does 10X and 200X mentioned in the above link mean. i.e 10% i.e 10PPM ,200% 200PPM of Fe?

Bump:
Quote:
DTPA should be similar to EDTA chelation; the only difference should be pH stability.

For reduction of ferric to ferrous cations, you can do it chemically, but that would introduce unwanted species into your solution. You can also do it electrochemically, but it would take more time/energy/effort than just buying the proper stuff from the get go, to be honest.
DTPA and EDTA both differ in chemical formula hence both would differ in the quantity required to chelate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Hwy @n70me good to see you over here.

I didn't think it was going to be easy.

Like mentioned above, seems a lot easier to just get some DTPA.
Hi Gregg,

May be i will try to get ferrous sulphate and do this instead of ferric sulphate.
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by n70me; 08-29-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n70me View Post
what does 10X and 200X mentioned in the above link mean. i.e 10% i.e 10PPM ,200% 200PPM of Fe?
The site makes mention of this: Concentrations of components are based upon those present in MS basal salt formulations and utilized in McCown's Woody Plant Medium.

So a 10x would be 10 times stronger than the reference, and a 200x would be 200 times stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n70me View Post
DTPA and EDTA both differ in chemical formula hence both would differ in the quantity required to chelate.
You can figure out how much more is needed using the molar masses of DTPA.
n70me likes this.

Anthony

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode