• 2 Post By Jamo33
  • 3 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By Quagulator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Remineralizing RO/DI

With the chlorine, chloramine and high tds in our water I just want to start with a clean slate rather than trying to treat tap water.
Before adding ferts, what is the best way to remineralize to get me back to a good baseline?
I'll be making batches of 50 gallons at a time so would like to mix right in my storage tanks.

TIA!

-Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
With the chlorine, chloramine and high tds in our water I just want to start with a clean slate rather than trying to treat tap water.
Before adding ferts, what is the best way to remineralize to get me back to a good baseline?
I'll be making batches of 50 gallons at a time so would like to mix right in my storage tanks.

TIA!
A lot of the answers you will receive will be personal preference. There are many remineralizers on the market and many ways to achieve your goals. DIY salt mix like @somewhatshocked has posted about in his journals. Equilibrium (sometimes met with opposition), Gh/kh boosters, salty shrimp etc. Really I suppose this depends on what your ultimate aim for parameters are in the end. Bicarb soda and dry salt mix may be the cheapest and most controlled method available.
Definitely read some of the more experienced planted tankers journals with custom ro/di setups.
Discusluv and d2creative like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

CaSO4 For Ca / gH - 20-30ppm
MgSO4 for Mg / gH - 5-10ppm
KHCO3 or K2CO3 for kH - 0.5-1.0 degrees.

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php - punch in your 50 gallons, and set range for each compound and it will tell you how much is needed.
Jamo33, mbkemp and d2creative like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
CaSO4 For Ca / gH - 20-30ppm
MgSO4 for Mg / gH - 5-10ppm
KHCO3 or K2CO3 for kH - 0.5-1.0 degrees.

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php - punch in your 50 gallons, and set range for each compound and it will tell you how much is needed.
Thank you. I think this is probably what I was imagining... some kind of dry mix.
Would be nice if someone offered a big 5g bucket of dry mix, with all needed ingredients, like you see with Saltwater mix. I'd pay a little more for that vs having to source the individual elements.

Bump: Oh and the choice between khco3 and k2co3... what do I need to base my decision on for that?

-Dennis
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
Thank you. I think this is probably what I was imagining... some kind of dry mix.
Would be nice if someone offered a big 5g bucket of dry mix, with all needed ingredients, like you see with Saltwater mix. I'd pay a little more for that vs having to source the individual elements.

Bump: Oh and the choice between khco3 and k2co3... what do I need to base my decision on for that?
GLA has everything you need. Easy one-stop shop.

Grab a 50 gram scale with calibration weight accurate up to 0.001 grams for $20 off amazon and you're all set.

Whatever is available between KHCO3 and K2CO3 is what you use.
d2creative likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode