• 2 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By MiamiArt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Help me diagnose the problem

Hi,

I have a tank that was started on August 3rd from tissue culture plants. Unfortunately, a few of the TC plants were in bad shape when I got them. One in particular, Myriophyllem mattogrossense "red", was really bad.

Here is a picture of the current state:

I'm also seeing a relatively healthy Rotala wallichii with whitish tips.

Tank parameters:

36 total water gallons
pH ranges from 7.3 to 6.53 via pressurized CO2
Running T5HO 24wx4

GH = 7 dGH
KH = 5 dKH

Using EI x 4 times weekly:

Millers 0.7g
KNO3 1.67g
KH2PO4 0.25g
K2SO4 2.28g

Water is RODI reconstituted with CaSO4, MgSO4 and K2CO3.

I did mess up for the first two weeks and had KH running at about 11 dKH and micros & PO4 at about 1/10th of what they should have been. I've corrected that to the above mentioned numbers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:49 AM
Planted Member

Iím not one to recommend one dosing routine over another but do yourself a favour and remineralize to 1-1.5 KH if it fits within your livestockís parameters. A wider variety of plants will simply just grow easier within wider fert parameters.
Greggz and MiamiArt like this.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @MiamiArt,

The Rotala wallichii has whitish tips likely due to the insufficient iron (Fe) that you mentioned. The new growth show be more green/reddish. That may be what happened to your Myrio as well. Give it another week or so dosing at the correct levels and see if it responds. Your foreground plant looks really good and healthy. Is that Safe-t-sorb that you are using for a substrate?
MiamiArt likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's the new Turface purchased locally. It's what they replaced the old Turface MVP with.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Iím not one to recommend one dosing routine over another but do yourself a favour and remineralize to 1-1.5 KH if it fits within your livestockís parameters. A wider variety of plants will simply just grow easier within wider fert parameters.
Hmm. I'm happy to try that. I don't have livestock at the moment.

This is something that's rather new to me. I may be old school but I always focused on sticking to 4-5 dKH. This lower KH is intriguing and scary for me.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiArt View Post
This is something that's rather new to me. I may be old school but I always focused on sticking to 4-5 dKH. This lower KH is intriguing and scary for me.
There's been a lot of chatter on the forum of late about tanks with high KH negatively affecting plant growth, especially when using standard EI type dosing. One of the plants used happened to be Rotala wallichii. The plant grew best in very soft water with KH around 0-2. There was a presentation discussing this at AGA 2019

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...sentation.html
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
There's been a lot of chatter on the forum of late about tanks with high KH negatively affecting plant growth, especially when using standard EI type dosing. One of the plants used happened to be Rotala wallichii. The plant grew best in very soft water with KH around 0-2. There was a presentation discussing this at AGA 2019

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...sentation.html
Thanks for bringing me up to speed on this. I didn't know Vin was focused on this. I also never thought dKH of 4-5 was considered high. However, reading the link you shared, I'm going to try to lower my KH to 1-2 to see how it goes.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode