2Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By Ben Belton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rex Grigg Dry Fert Alternative

I bought a lot of ferts from Rex, years ago, and have been using them ever since. I'm finally about to run out.
Does anyone know of another source of good clean dry ferts, like he used to sell? I found some dry ferts from a random seller, specified for planted aquariums, but they are basic hardware store grade ferts.. chunky, smelly, brown. Rex's were nice pure white powders.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
There are quite a few places to buy aquarium fertilizer. Probably some local to you. Fire up your googler to see what's available in your area. There are bound to be some shops in STL that carry dry salts. Some hydroponic stores have by-the-pound ferts at reasonable prices. Also available all over Amazon and fleabay.

My preferred retailer is Green Leaf Aquariums. Vendor reviews aren't permitted, so I won't speak to service or anything of the sort. But this is why I choose them: cheaper prices than other newcomer retailers.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I used Rex's for years and just recently was turned on to GLA. So far, so good. Like you said, they just last so long. I've got almost 500 gallons of planted tank and still haven't used up all of my KH2PO4 from Rex that I bought years ago.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:42 PM
Planted Member

I'm also local to St. Louis - I have bought macros and iron from Nilocg. I also have plenty of CSM-B and individual micro elements, if you are interested in making your own micro mix like many people on this forum are now doing. I'm in the Fenton area.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!
I did try the ole' googler, and that's how I ended up w/ stinky brown ferts.. It was a nice looking store too.. Black background, and pictures of bright planted aquariums, etc.
Ebay looks to be a good option, because they do show the actual product and some look great. And thanks for the recommendations for the stores you've all used.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've used Green Leaf Aquariums and Nilocg Aquatics and was happy with both. They both have the nice clean powdery stuff you are looking for.

Ben
Maryland Guppy likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode