Apera pH meter creeps up after it's done. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Apera pH meter creeps up after it's done.

I have the Apera PH 20 unit. If you're not familiar, it will display a little smiley face on the unit when it thinks it's at the correct pH.

It seems really nice, calibration went smoothly, but then I go to test some aquarium water and it gives me the little smiley face at 6.9-7.0, but then it slowly creeps up to, and levels off at, 7.5 over the next minute or so. The API test looks closer to 6.5 or 6.6, but honestly the color of the water had never matched a single color on the paper. Not once, which is why I bought this fancy-ish digital meter. API's high pH test is either at the bottom of the chart, at 7.4, or off the chart.

Anyway, I have no idea what to believe. Is my water 6.9-7 like when the little face appears? Or is it 7.5, where it leveled out, and now I have a high pH issue on my hands? Or is around 6.5 or 6.6 where the API test seems to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a meter that does something similar. A light comes on when it determines the PH is stable. Don't trust the auto stable detection. sometimes the probe may take a long time to fully stabililze. But that said the difference between 6.9 and 7.5 is not enough to worry about.

But if your probe is not agreeing with the API test it could mean the API test is wrong or your PH probe is out of calibration or has fiailed. You can get buy PH calibration reference liquid and then use them with the manufactures instructions to calibrate the probe. And you could take a small sample of the PH calibration liquid and test it with the API test kit. It should tell you which test is reading correctly.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

Either buy calibration fluid to find out if it works. Or take it to a LFS that uses digital meters for reading pH and test yours against the store's.

As the probes get old, it takes longer for the meter to stop changing. They need to be calibrated once a year and most reefers calibrate every 2 months when used on a controller.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
I have a meter that does something similar. A light comes on when it determines the PH is stable. Don't trust the auto stable detection. sometimes the probe may take a long time to fully stabililze. But that said the difference between 6.9 and 7.5 is not enough to worry about.

But if your probe is not agreeing with the API test it could mean the API test is wrong or your PH probe is out of calibration or has fiailed. You can get buy PH calibration reference liquid and then use them with the manufactures instructions to calibrate the probe. And you could take a small sample of the PH calibration liquid and test it with the API test kit. It should tell you which test is reading correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp2020 View Post
Either buy calibration fluid to find out if it works. Or take it to a LFS that uses digital meters for reading pH and test yours against the store's.

As the probes get old, it takes longer for the meter to stop changing. They need to be calibrated once a year and most reefers calibrate every 2 months when used on a controller.

Yeah, I calibrated this thing as soon as I got it. It came with all the pre-mixed calibration fluids. 4, 7, and 10.01. In fact, I calibrated it twice because after the first calibration, it was reading the pH fluids at about .2 above what they were supposed to be (4.2, 7.2, 10.2). After the second calibration, it seems to zero in on the calibration fluid pH pretty quickly. For instance, if I put it in the 7pH fluid, the happy face will come on around 6.9 or 7.1pH. Then, about a second later, it'll level out at 7.0 and stay there.

In my aquarium water, however, it shows the happy face in a typical amount of time, but then after a good minute or so, it's crept up about .5~.7 pH.

Either way, I have a support ticket in with the company to see if this is just typical of their meters. For now, I'm going with the assumption that it's more correct when it shows the happy face and not when it levels off since that seems to be closer to what the API results are also telling me. And the API fluid claim they don't expire for another couple years.

Last edited by TrevHolland; 08-25-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: clarity

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode