Your R/O Station/Water Storage Station Set-ups - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By mbkemp
  • 1 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 4 Post By AcidGambit
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 2 Post By AcidGambit
  • 3 Post By Ken Keating1
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Ken Keating1
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 3,134
Your R/O Station/Water Storage Station Set-ups

Please, if you can, I need pictures of your water station/R/O system set-ups.

I had saved one recently that someone had constructed; [it was genius] but I cannot locate it now. [Of course.]
If someone remembers seeing one recently that would recommend and easily locate- please give link here.


I already have an R/O unit that produces 75 gallons per day from Bulk Reef Supply; but, would like the brand names of any storage containers use, pumps recommend, etc...

Also, with brief description of how you get your R/O water from your storage containers to your tanks.

I will need to devise a system [with your help] that will have the capacity to store at least 200 gallons of water weekly. Actually, I will give the pictures /descriptions to my husband and ask him to build or, if he cannot, get a contractor to build.



Im feeling a bit panicked right now because I am only recently made aware that my water from tap has huge fluctuations in parameters. [Breath]
Maryland Guppy and mbkemp like this.

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

Discusluv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 3,134
Maybe 2 of these for storage?

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms...ateway&sr=8-10

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

Discusluv is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:49 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,271
Mine wasn't the one you liked but I'll post it.

This:

runs into the 135 gallon tank on the right, which only has ever held RO/DI water:

The tank on the left is mixed with GH only salts. A Little Giant pump at the bottom of them (or gravity if patient) allows me to fill either a bucket from the spout or run through the hose, determined by which valves I open:
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Mine wasn't the one you liked but I'll post it.

This:

runs into the 135 gallon tank on the right, which only has ever held RO/DI water:

The tank on the left is mixed with GH only salts. A Little Giant pump at the bottom of them (or gravity if patient) allows me to fill either a bucket from the spout or run through the hose, determined by which valves I open:
The tanks? Where would I get ones like this?

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

Discusluv is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 451
I use 35 gallon trash cans that I fear would be too small for you.

I have used several types of pumps. The fastest I have found is a portable sump pump I purchased mine from amazon. I use a baffle for that because it moves 25 gallons pretty quick


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
mbkemp is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Maryland Guppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Arnold
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Im feeling a bit panicked right now because I am only recently made aware that my water from tap has huge fluctuations in parameters.
I say relax a bit, you've been doing this phish deal with the water you have for quite a while.
From what I've read your phish are well & healthy.

There are 330 gallon totes that can be bought on the cheap.
I've seen these as low as $100.00 each if one shops around.
They are used and would require a good rinsing regardless.


Check with vendor of the R/O unit and see if you can piggy back another membrane on to get twice the flow?
Usually this is about a $55 dollar modification to the R/O unit.
Discusluv likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
Maryland Guppy is online now  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
I say relax a bit, you've been doing this phish deal with the water you have for quite a while.
From what I've read your phish are well & healthy.

There are 330 gallon totes that can be bought on the cheap.
I've seen these as low as $100.00 each if one shops around.
They are used and would require a good rinsing regardless.


Check with vendor of the R/O unit and see if you can piggy back another membrane on to get twice the flow?
Usually this is about a $55 dollar modification to the R/O unit.
Thank you, your right, I shouldn't be in such a panic state. So unproductive.
Ill look into your suggestions.

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

Discusluv is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:23 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 179
Here is a picture of my setup:



U.S. Plastic Corp. has a lot of tank products. I went with two 35-gallon containers because they fit the space and my needs (you can get very large containers). The platform under the tanks can contain 25 gallons of spill. It won't save me if a full tank breaks loose, but it is enough to contain an issue with the R/O system for long enough for one of the many sensors to shut it down.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AcidGambit is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
Here is a picture of my setup:



U.S. Plastic Corp. has a lot of tank products. I went with two 35-gallon containers because they fit the space and my needs (you can get very large containers). The platform under the tanks can contain 25 gallons of spill. It won't save me if a full tank breaks loose, but it is enough to contain an issue with the R/O system for long enough for one of the many sensors to shut it down.
Yes! It was your set-up, thank you!

You had a journal of this set-up somewhere didn't you?
mbkemp likes this.

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

Discusluv is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:11 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 179
Yes, the post is here. I used this article as a starting point when building my station.

To answer your other question, I use a PanWorld 100PX for the pump, but only because I needed enough head to pump water from my basement up to the first floor. You can get away with a much smaller pump if you're pumping water to another location on the same floor. Also, I wasn't comfortable with relying only on the float valve in the RO water container, so I added the XP Aqua RO/DI Flood Guardian for redundancy. It uses an electronic eye and solenoid to control the system and shut it down after the tank fills to 35 gallons.
mbkemp and Discusluv like this.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AcidGambit is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
Yes, the post is here. I used this article as a starting point when building my station.

To answer your other question, I use a PanWorld 100PX for the pump, but only because I needed enough head to pump water from my basement up to the first floor. You can get away with a much smaller pump if you're pumping water to another location on the same floor. Also, I wasn't comfortable with relying only on the float valve in the RO water container, so I added the XP Aqua RO/DI Flood Guardian for redundancy. It uses an electronic eye and solenoid to control the system and shut it down after the tank fills to 35 gallons.
Many thanks to you!

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

Discusluv is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Ken Keating1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 834
See below for my simplistic RO station!













Details and written information are in my Journal, see post #125.
Greggz, Discusluv and AcidGambit like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ken Keating1 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
See below for my simplistic RO station!













Details and written information are in my Journal, see post #125.
This is excellent - Ken, thank you. Ill show John.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

Discusluv is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Ken Keating1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 834
If you or John want to look at it in person, let me know. I live in the Pocket area, so not too far away. Search Craigslist for food grade water or food grade barrel and there's lots of inexpensive tanks available in the area.
Discusluv likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ken Keating1 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome