Dosing for Tank Startup with Tropica Controsoil. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing for Tank Startup with Tropica Controsoil.

Hello, I will be planting my new tank setup in the next few days (journal). This will be a fresh startup, with a new tank, new substrate, etc. I'd like some advice on how to dose in the first month because I've heard people say that the substrate will supply enough macros in the beginning (so no need to dose), but that you should start dosing micros right away.

For reference, I am using Tropica Controsoil, which is a buffering substrate. The tank will be high-tech, with a large section of stems and a large section of DHG. Water is remineralized RO, which I am remineralizing to 25ppm Ca and 10ppm Mg. I will be following EI dosing, generally, using dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums (separate N, P, K, and micros) (moving to dosing pumps after tank settles in).

I am most interested to hear what you think on dosing for the first few weeks of the tank.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I would really appreciate some input. I have some melt with certain plants, which I suspect is because they are tissue culture plants, but I hope that I'm not killing them by not having fertilizer in the water.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Tropica Controsoil? I thought Controsoil was a UNS product and Tropica's product is called Tropica Aquarium Soil, but "a rose by any other name..."

https://tropica.com/en/plant-care/aq...aquarium-soil/
Aquatic Plant Controsoil Substrate Soil For Planted Tanks - Ultum Nature Systems

This should answer your questions.
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/adv_nutrients.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you, it is definitely Tropica Aquarium Soil. I apologize for the confusion.

So from some other reading, it sounds like I should go ahead and start dosing ferts now.

My Tank Journal:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Algae Grower

I used Tropica on 3 tanks and did not dose anything for 3 weeks, along with lot of water change during this period. You can download the Tropica App and follow its schedule and instructions.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreef View Post
I used Tropica on 3 tanks and did not dose anything for 3 weeks, along with lot of water change during this period. You can download the Tropica App and follow its schedule and instructions.
Thank you, I started with following the directions from the Tropica website without downloading the app. I've been doing daily water changes. Unfortunately, I have melt on my AR mini, crypts (expected), and some other plants. CO2 is cranked and I have the lights at 5 hours. So I wanted to double check that I'm not doing something wrong.

My Tank Journal:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
Thank you, I started with following the directions from the Tropica website without downloading the app. I've been doing daily water changes. Unfortunately, I have melt on my AR mini, crypts (expected), and some other plants. CO2 is cranked and I have the lights at 5 hours. So I wanted to double check that I'm not doing something wrong.
Melting does happen and it is hard to predict. for lighting i would adjust to 6 hr. period.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
Some melt happens almost universally, in my experience. Crypts are just notorious for a heavy amount of melt, however even when purchasing submerged-grown plants from good sources, I still experience a bit of melt/die off until the plants adapt to my parameters.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode