High Tech Tests - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Quagulator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
High Tech Tests

Hello chemists!

When I started in this hobby I can honestly say I did not understand how intricate water parameters really are. After going to college for engineering and coming back home I have found myself more interested in this hobby than I ever have been. I would really like to become more aware of the chemistry of my tanks so that I can address algae and plant growth more efficiently and overall have a greater sense of operational awareness in my tanks. Right now, what is out there test wise that will give me the greatest insight into what is going on in my tank? Are there any tests that will send to an app similar to a programmable lighting system? Also, what types of tests would give the most insight on plant related water chemistry parameters?

Overall, I am trying to optimize plant growth and keep track of levels more specific than just pH, hardness, nitrate and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using 100% RO/distilled water, scales accurate up to 0.001 grams, lab grade products and a dosing calculator so you know exactly what is in the water...

pH controller is a nice option, calibrate it regularly.
A high quality TDS meter too.

As for other testing equipment, hobby grade stuff is "ballpark" at best... Best looking for "lab grade" (whatever that means) but that is where $$$ adds up quickly.

Nothing beats a good spread sheet to keep you up to date on all the tank's "normal" parameters.

@Greggz has the link in his sig.

@Maryland Guppy has done a few tests, I think with regards to Fe primarily??
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode