I have Ca:Mg of 23:6.08 Seachem Equilibrium or Flourish Magnesium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have Ca:Mg of 23:6.08 Seachem Equilibrium or Flourish Magnesium?

I have some kind of nutrient deficiency going on. Old growth was yellow still had new growth that looked fine. Water has consistently tested around 20ppm for nitrates and I'm dosing .49ppm Fe a day, recommended dose once a week of flourish comprehensive, 11.13ppm Potassium, and slightly under the recommended of liquid CO2. (it's a very small 2.5 gallon tank). Since I started this dosing regiment the plants have grown but the deficiency effecting the older leaves has quickened as one would imagine. I'm still new at this but I believe it might be phosphate or magnesium since the plants have not improved while dosing iron or potassium and the water column has nitrates. And from my understanding because it's effecting old growth it's a mobile nutrient N,P,K or maybe Mg. I have Flourish Phosphorus ordered and on the way. I know the 6.08ppm is lower than the recommended value for Mg, I'm not sure if it's enough, or growth is too quick and needs more.

I'm assuming I'd use Equilibrium on soft water and Flourish Magnesium when I have too much calcium and not enough Mg in the water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Need a phosphate test.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, I forgot to mention I do have a phosphate test kit and I tested three times throughout a week's cycle of water changes and tested 0ppm every time. (Still a beginner and wanted to watch for build up from good/waste wasnt sure how quickly that occurred)

With my limited knowledge I'm very much suspecting it's PO4 I'm missing since I have NO3 and K. But it might be magnesium too because it's a mobile nutrient and the deficiency is only effecting old growth. But at the same time Mg is lower than the ideal value I keep seeing online, so that's a possibility.

My plan is to start dosing flourish phosphorus when I get it and watch for signs of improvement. I hear plants show signs of improvement quicker with mobile nutrients is that true too?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode