I see ranges for certain nutrients but is that dosage range or "in the water range"? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken Keating1
  • 1 Post By Edward
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I see ranges for certain nutrients but is that dosage range or "in the water range"?

I see ranges for nutrients but now I'm confused as to if those ranges refer to the range in ppm people dose per week. say if NO3 is 5-10 if people dose between 5-10 a week or if 5-10ppm is a good amount to keep in the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
That is the range you want in your water. You dose x amount to try to keep your NO3 between 5-10.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Most folks who are posting ppm values here on TPT are referring to how much they're dosing, not target values, unless they're stating this is the range they're trying to accomplish. If you go to the Share Your Dosing Thread, , those values shown are how much the individual is dosing per week. Also, you'll see various members post their tank parameters using the spreadsheet below. These show how much dosing is being done per dose, how often the dosing is occuring, and the total weekly amounts that the individual is dosing.

I hope this helps. It's confusing at first and we've all been there, so feel free to ask questions.

Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

When we read books, guides and other related literature they typically talk about the water column levels.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Most folks who are posting ppm values here on TPT are referring to how much they're dosing, not target values, unless they're stating this is the range they're trying to accomplish.
Ok, thank you. What's the difference between KNO3 and NO3 as it relates to dosing K and N? I know KNO3 has potassium but how exactly do I take that potassium into account when dosing (If i'm using something that has KNO3 in it? And in that big chart there all the macros are dosed with a more complex macro. KNO3 instead of NO3, KH2PO4 instead of PO4, and K2SO4 instead of K. Are these compounds you're choosing to use instead of the macro in it's simpler form? I'm using SeaChem Flourish products and do not see these listed in the ingredients.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Seachem's website states that their nitrogen product is made with potassium nitrate & urea.
These are compounds many of us use regularly.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothreat33 View Post
Ok, thank you. What's the difference between KNO3 and NO3 as it relates to dosing K and N? I know KNO3 has potassium but how exactly do I take that potassium into account when dosing (If i'm using something that has KNO3 in it? And in that big chart there all the macros are dosed with a more complex macro. KNO3 instead of NO3, KH2PO4 instead of PO4, and K2SO4 instead of K. Are these compounds you're choosing to use instead of the macro in it's simpler form? I'm using SeaChem Flourish products and do not see these listed in the ingredients.
If its KNO3 you are considering the mass and ppm of Nitrate (NO3-) which can be converted to ppm of N.
If the product uses Urea or Ammonia or a mix of NO3, Ammonia and Urea you can convert it to N and then convert that to NO3 equivalents so it matches what other people are doing in the share your dosing thread.

In general not many people are using Ammonia/Urea its mostly Nitrates.

Last edited by cl3537; 08-18-2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: ...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just reiterating it's how much you dose. I thought it was target range and kept pouring more phosphate into my tank because I couldn't keep it above 1.0. My substrate was absorbing it and eventually poisoned my plants and they were stunted and/or dying.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So they could be dosing 4ppm PO4 but might never have 1ppm testable in the water column because the plants uptake is just that high? How'd they figure that out? Kept adding it and seeing a test consistently at 0? Stopped when test said something like. 5ppm?

Most sources i found said ideal PO4 parameters are less than 1ppm. Is there an ideal way to dose for PO4 specifically? The dosing regime I'm setting up through rotala butterfly has I believe 25% uptake will have something like .7-1.12ppm (with 75% uptake at a lower range obviously)

My goal at the moment is creating a good dosing regiment to begin experimenting with, so I'm going off of lots of different ideal ranges of nutrients I'm finding online.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Let me put a brake on this. Question. I gather from your other posts we’re talkin about a couple low tech, non co2, 5 and 2.5 gal tanks?
Edward likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode