Why don't more people dose CO2 this way? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jeff5614

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why don't more people dose CO2 this way?

I have my CO2 line directly under the canister filter intake. Nearly all the bubbles get sucked into the canister filter and the filter acts as a reactor for the CO2. Every now and then I get a big bubble of CO2 that burps out but I still feel that most of the CO2 is getting dissolved into the water efficiently. Is there any reason that more people don't do this?

Ammonia and nitrites are zero. So either the plants or the canister filter is doing a good job of filtering a heavily stocked system. In the near future I'll add an inline CO2 diffuser to allow the bubbles to dissolve faster and so I can crank up the bubble rate higher. Plants are starting to look like a jungle and keep sucking up the CO2 faster and faster each day. I've tried getting atomizer diffusers but they are not efficent enough to keep up with my plant's demands. Still saving up for an inline diffuser and maybe an inline reactor also. The bubble counter is around 3-4 bubbles per second and I might be increasing that soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:16 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is a risk of CO2 killing all beneficial bacteria in the filter, if you run CO2 a bit too high. Sudden death of all beneficial bacteria in the filter will cause a spike, even if your tank could deal with the ammonia without the filter at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Algae Grower

This is can damage the pump in your filter via cavitation. You can also cause your filter to loose prime.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp2020 View Post
I have my CO2 line directly under the canister filter intake. Nearly all the bubbles get sucked into the canister filter and the filter acts as a reactor for the CO2. Every now and then I get a big bubble of CO2 that burps out but I still feel that most of the CO2 is getting dissolved into the water efficiently. Is there any reason that more people don't do this?

Ammonia and nitrites are zero. So either the plants or the canister filter is doing a good job of filtering a heavily stocked system. In the near future I'll add an inline CO2 diffuser to allow the bubbles to dissolve faster and so I can crank up the bubble rate higher. Plants are starting to look like a jungle and keep sucking up the CO2 faster and faster each day. I've tried getting atomizer diffusers but they are not efficent enough to keep up with my plant's demands. Still saving up for an inline diffuser and maybe an inline reactor also. The bubble counter is around 3-4 bubbles per second and I might be increasing that soon.
For those using diffusers I have seen people put their diffuser directly below their return or a powerhead. The idea being to blow the bubbles around the tank and give them longer to dissolve/come in contact with plants.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
It was a more common practice in the past. I read posts from people who injected it into their canisters, but never read any accounts of great catastrophe coming from it. I used an inline diffuser to inject CO2 into an Eheim filter which I did for a year or so with no apparent problem. Past a certain bubble count you'll get burping of course. Most of the warnings you'll get are just hearsay.
quiquik and burr740 like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Planted Member

I did it for almost 10 years with no issues whatsoever. I bubbled the CO2 directly into my Eheim canister intake and they completely dissolved before they reached the canister below (could watch through the clear green tubing).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do this with no issue. I use this right before the filter intake line goes into the filter: https://www.amazon.com/NilocG-Aquati...33207470&psc=1

Where I ran into issues was trying to use the bigger external diffusers with spinners. My eheim pro 4 isn't strong enough to keep the thing spinning.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I did this with one of the inline diffuses and still had my canister filter stall from CO2 buildup. It wouldn't work for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode