1Likes
  • 1 Post By Surf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Ferts & Schedule

Hi all!

The tank in my sig is doing pretty well. It's got some algae issues that developed during cycling, but I am getting those under control.

Substrate is flourite with root tabs. I have been dosing 1ml each of Excel and Flourish every other day and so far, so good. I am wondering, does this sound like a reasonable schedule? Is there something else I should be using along with Flourish or instead of Flourish? Perviously, I used Pfertz for my planted tanks, but I see they've gone out of business. Bummer.

Note that I will likely replace the microsword with a crypt wendtii. It is contained by those rocks right now, but I don't think I'll be able to easily keep it corralled.

As always, thanks for the help!

16 Gallon Spec
Flora: Christmas moss, Buce plants, anubias, Bocapa monnieri, Marimo Moss Balls, Repens, Crypt wendtii
Fauna: Pseudomugil luminatus, Habrosus corys, Honey gourami, Blue Velvet Shrimp, Amanos, Nerite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #498
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
1st you need to test your nitrate and phosphate levels. Flourish doesnít have those so if what your getting of those from feeding fish isnít enough youíll need to dose those in relation to flourish.

In a low tech non CO2 tank daily mild (probably half or less of manufactures recommended rate) dosing usually works best. Especially with low demand plants Iím seeing in your profiles tank pics. Take gal milk jug add 1.5ml to jug+to water and just top off for evaporation throughout week.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:16 AM
Algae Grower

I would look into an all-in-one NPK fert or the separate Flourish products of NPK like Flourish Potassium, Flourish Nitrogen and Flourish Phosphorus. Flourish by itself is essentially just trace nutrients. It has only a tiny amount of the main macro's NPK, not in the quantity that plants need to grow. If the main nutrients are lacking plants wont need the trace stuff because they wont be growing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Yep. It is starting to come back to me now. When I used Pfertz in the past, I remember that I had a bottle each of N, P, K and one for micros. I think I am going to try Nilocg Aquatics Liquid NPK+M. It's an all-in-one NPK plus a separate micro. I'll also order API's Phosphate test kit.

I know all this stuff is tucked away in this old brain somewhere...I just need to find where I put it all. LOL. Thanks for the reminders!

16 Gallon Spec
Flora: Christmas moss, Buce plants, anubias, Bocapa monnieri, Marimo Moss Balls, Repens, Crypt wendtii
Fauna: Pseudomugil luminatus, Habrosus corys, Honey gourami, Blue Velvet Shrimp, Amanos, Nerite

Eheim Pimp Club Member #498
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I'll also order API's Phosphate test kit.
Note if you gove $50 you could get a Hanna checker for phosphates:
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If has a reading range of 0.1 to 20ppm with a digital output.
CrazyCatPeekin likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode