• 2 Post By Deanna
  • 1 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Schedule for fertilizers. When to add?

Hi,

Since we have so many types of fertilisers, may I ask how do you guys schedule when to add in these ferrilizers to your tank?

I uses JBL ferropol, denitrol, ph reducer and excel flourish.

Letís say i just did a water change today. Can I add ferropol the next day and denitrol the following day followed by excel flourish?

Is it necessary to stop the pump while adding these liquids?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinYYK View Post
Hi,

Since we have so many types of fertilisers, may I ask how do you guys schedule when to add in these ferrilizers to your tank?

Let’s say i just did a water change today. Can I add ferropol the next day and denitrol the following day followed by excel flourish?

Thanks

So many types? Most of us have one macro mix and one micro mix at most. When you add it depends on how much you add, how big your tank is, how many plants you have and how often and much you water change.

I don't know about all of yours but ph reducer is not a fert. To me it sounds like you need to read an aquarium fetilizer 101 article.

Let me ask a question to pull out some misaligned logic from your brain - why would you want to stop the flow of water when you add fertilizer?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:08 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
Is it too much to ask that we be polite when someone new joins the forums with questions? And he's obviously doing something right from the looks of his flora. On to OP's questions.

Quote:
Hi,

I have a pretty simple routine, but most of my tanks are low tech. I add micros weekly, and N/P/K as needed (typically also weekly but I test these values when unsure). I use dry ferts, so can't give you an exact dosage of those you are using.
Quote:
Not familiar with each brand but looks like iron and nitrogen, flourish is trace elements (micros/trace). As long as P&K are in the first two you should be fine, but they are measurable. Is pH reducer needed?
Quote:
Let’s say i just did a water change today. Can I add ferropol the next day and denitrol the following day followed by excel flourish?
Probably no need to wait a full day in between, but that regimen sounds fine. You typically don't just add after water changes though unless that is something you are doing weekly.
Quote:
No, in fact they should mix into the water column more quickly if it's running. Your tank looks great, by the way! Welcome to the forums!
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Is it too much to ask that we be polite when someone new joins the forums with questions? And he's obviously doing something right from the looks of his flora. On to OP's questions.

I have a pretty simple routine, but most of my tanks are low tech. I add micros weekly, and N/P/K as needed (typically also weekly but I test these values when unsure). I use dry ferts, so can't give you an exact dosage of those you are using.

Not familiar with each brand but looks like iron and nitrogen, flourish is trace elements (micros/trace). As long as P&K are in the first two you should be fine, but they are measurable. Is pH reducer needed?

Probably no need to wait a full day in between, but that regimen sounds fine. You typically don't just add after water changes though unless that is something you are doing weekly.

No, in fact they should mix into the water column more quickly if it's running. Your tank looks great, by the way! Welcome to the forums!
JBL lists ferropol as....
Provides the plants with iron, potassium, sulphur and the trace
elements of manganese, molybdenum, zinc, boron, cobalt and
copper in a form easily absorbed by plants.
So no NP, looks like ferropol should used in conjunction with their NPK for a balanced fert regiment.

And heís dosing fluorish excel (carbon) not trace it sounds like. No idea why if heís running CO2 though unless itís for algae control.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 PM
snails are your friend

Good catch! I missed Excel because he put it before the word Flourish. And then misspelled "Ferropol" when I tried to Google that fert. No wonder I didn't find any results.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wasn't intending to be rude, just offering insights and possible next steps between meetings at work.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Other members are addressing the type of ferts and amounts, so I’ll just comment on frequency and also add a comment about ph reducers.

We have members (and I have done it all three ways, as well) that add it weekly, different times of the week and daily. It all works fine. Many of us, including me, believe that the higher the frequency, the better. I now add it four times a day, but that is with a DIY auto-doser (I would never do it manually this often). So, all that I have to do is fill the doser monthly and forget about it. It is best to dose iron and phosphate at different times.

Regarding your pH reducer: Is there a reason that you don’t want your pH wherever it is?

It’s been some time since I’ve studied pH acid buffers, but most, if not all, add things that can be detrimental (I think most have gotten away from phosphate-based components). These type of pH reducers have a very short effective window, which is why you need to constantly add them to maintain a target pH.

You could reduce your pH by mixing your water with RO or distilled water. This would bring it down closer to a neutral 7.0 and, with a lower KH, would add the potential to drift lower over time. Some types of substrate will also reduce it. Is there something in your tank that is raising the pH above your tap water level?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

What am I missing here, why wouldn't he want to run co2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:51 PM
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Itís been some time since Iíve studied pH acid buffers, but most, if not all, add things that can be detrimental (I think most have gotten away from phosphate-based components). These type of pH reducers have a very short effective window, which is why you need to constantly add them to maintain a target pH.
IIRC, my API rep told me that the active ingredients in most on the market these days are phosphoric acid and citric acid, and some use monoammonium phosphate in addition. Can't remember if API did or not. Either way, I agree that it's a short term fix -and ridiculously so if it's fighting really hard water or a lime rock or substrate in the tank.

Quote:
Is there something in your tank that is raising the pH above your tap water level?
My guess is that dragon stone. I've bought it from different vendors and never once had any come in that would pass the acid test. And each listed it as inert/safe for freshwater tanks/won't raise pH. I'm not going so far as to say that it all contains CaCO3, but so far all igneous rocks that look like this have that I've tried to use have. Shame, because I think they are beautiful in aquariums.
Quote:
Other members are addressing the type of ferts and amounts, so Iíll just comment on frequency and also add a comment about ph reducers.

We have members (and I have done it all three ways, as well) that add it weekly, different times of the week and daily. It all works fine. Many of us, including me, believe that the higher the frequency, the better. I now add it four times a day, but that is with a DIY auto-doser (I would never do it manually this often). So, all that I have to do is fill the doser monthly and forget about it. It is best to dose iron and phosphate at different times.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I've often thought about such a set up and would love to read more if you have a tank journal or thread on this device. Do iron and phosphate dose 6 hours apart? I thought there was another besides Fe/PO4 that needed to be dosed separately and thinking about that seemed like a tall order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
What am I missing here, why wouldn't he want to run co2?
I read that the same way the first time. His question was why use Excel if running CO2, it was just worded such that could be construed that way.
Deanna and Asteroid like this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I've often thought about such a set up and would love to read more if you have a tank journal or thread on this device. Do iron and phosphate dose 6 hours apart? I thought there was another besides Fe/PO4 that needed to be dosed separately and thinking about that seemed like a tall order.
I'll update the thread I initially did on that doser, since I've simplified it. Give me a few days and I'll let you know when it's posted. In the meantime, think about how you might hang it above tank level (it's gravity fed). Mine is against the wall, behind a drape. If you can't, I also had an alternative.

No, I don't separate Fe and PO4 by 6 hours. I do by one hour. Dosing is about every 3 hours, so the overlap would get me back into trouble anyway. The doses are so small that I think the iron is absorbed almost instantly by the plants (I use Fe gluc) or, at least, equal to any PO4 binding that might happen. Haven't noticed an Fe deficiency, so it must be ok.

I think there are some secondary binding issues for some of the metals (Mn, Zn and Cu), but probably not meaningful. I think we are supposed to keep Mo away from the other traces, if possible, so I mix with the macros, which isn't a bad idea because it's important to N uptake.

Last edited by Deanna; 08-10-2019 at 01:39 AM. Reason: add
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi all and thanks for your advises.

I am only in my 7th month in aquascaping and I am relatively new to this hobby. Thought i would give up after the 2nd month but looking at how the plants grow and how beautiful the tank looks gets me going deeper into this hobby.

Let me tell you a little about my tank. Itís a 28liter or 7 gal. tank. I choose this setup because itís small and manageable as a newbie. It runs a diffuser type (not drip type) co2 because it creates very fine bubbles.

I have quite a number of fauna, 3 shrimps, 1 molly and SEA for algae. 4 tetras and 2 orange fishes (not sure what they are called).

Reason why I uses so many types of liquids is because some were recommended by the aquascape shop and some were findings from google.

I donít use RO water but tap water mixed with Biotopol (0.5ml every 2L water). I change about 6-8 litres of water every 3-4 days. And do a total clean up & larger water change every 2 weeks.

Ferropol is for my flora which I add in every week (4ml) and sometimes Denitrol for my fish health (0.2ml).

Recent, I read about excel flourish because my tank was attacked by little groups of black beard. I dose interval of 2-3 days (3ml). So far it is under control. *i think my lighting was too close to tank and run 8hrs a day. I have raised the height of lighting and only run 6hrs now.

For PH reducer is because there was once I did a PH test and my value was at 8. Not knowing what to do I purchased a ph reducer. Also I have Detoxol hoping it will maintain the overall water condition.

So with all these liquids / fertilisers, Iím not sure if Iím overkilling my tank therefore I am here to seek advise if there is a schedule I could follow without destroying the tank or maybe what I am doing wrong.

I have photos of my first month and my recent tank condition. Let me how am I doing as I have plans to move on to a larger tank once I am more familiar with this hobby. Probably a low and longer tank which I like the setup very much.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Updated design can now be found here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...l#post11147437

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode