Clove oil humane? - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Clove oil humane?

I have a goldfish who is struggling to fight off a parasite, and has been for the last month and a half. He would have most likely died naturally if I hadn’t kept him alive with medication. He doesn’t do much but lay on the bottom. Anyway, I think it is time to let him go. Is clove oil the best route to go? He is about 2 1/2 inches. What would the correct dosing be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Clove oil to put him to sleep. maybe 10 drops per gallon. Then use a hammer or knife to euthanize. No guess work involved.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I read it years ago and still use this method....in a small cup of tank water put the fish , then a little vodka or gin , wait a min then put in a drop or 2 of the clove oil . It is supposed to kill and has always worked well for me .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I actually got home this afternoon and the little guy had passed on. Makes my job easier I guess. I hope he died peacefully. Thanks for the help!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I tend to think of what works quickest as I really don't know how fish sense fear. I suspect getting caught in a net is about a much trauma as they can sense, so that leaves me to simply do it quick from there on.
I think of what I might feel; if I were chased around and caught? Just get it over quick if that is what's coming, so I simply do a catch and fast whack to kill them. Net, place in towel and whack.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLover345 View Post
I actually got home this afternoon and the little guy had passed on. Makes my job easier I guess. I hope he died peacefully. Thanks for the help!
Glad (well, considering the circumstances) it worked out that way. There's no perfect way to end a life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I tend to think of what works quickest as I really don't know how fish sense fear. I suspect getting caught in a net is about a much trauma as they can sense, so that leaves me to simply do it quick from there on.
I think of what I might feel; if I were chased around and caught? Just get it over quick if that is what's coming, so I simply do a catch and fast whack to kill them. Net, place in towel and whack.
I won't often even wade into this subject, but the net and whack has been my go-to after many, many trials and tribulations of clove oil, alcohol, refrigerator/freezer, etc, etc.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Although it sounds terrible, if you really care, @PlantedRich's approach is probably the best: lights out after a brief moment of terror. Gassing with CO2 may also be good because, in humans, death by CO2 is said to be like a fantastic high. Try it and see!

Of course, through all of these discussions, we are assuming that we can understand what thoughts are going through a fish' mind. We are probably over-thinking this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I care what goes through my mind in that moment as well. Ill stick to clove oil.
mossman77 likes this.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I care what goes through my mind in that moment as well. Ill stick to clove oil.
Hmmmm ...but we don't really know what clove oil does to fish. We only know what we see that it does. What if it simply stuns them and produces and agonizingly long death? No room for agony with a hammer.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Hmmmm ...but we don't really know what clove oil does to fish. We only know what we see that it does. What if it simply stuns them and produces and agonizingly long death? No room for agony with a hammer.
It would cause me agony-- that is enough.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Although it sounds terrible, if you really care, @PlantedRich's approach is probably the best: lights out after a brief moment of terror. Gassing with CO2 may also be good because, in humans, death by CO2 is said to be like a fantastic high. Try it and see!

Of course, through all of these discussions, we are assuming that we can understand what thoughts are going through a fish' mind. We are probably over-thinking this.
Actually, I've heard that CO2 poisoning feels like you are drowning above land. Since drowning comes from CO2 buildup and not lack of oxygen this makes sense to me. You may be thinking of carbon monoxide like from car exhaust!

A popular reddit post went over this about a month ago and people who work in mines (where pockets of random gas are found and kill people) chimed in.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
It would cause me agony-- that is enough.
Just saw your post about your husband. Get him to do it and maybe then he'll show more interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
Actually, I've heard that CO2 poisoning feels like you are drowning above land. Since drowning comes from CO2 buildup and not lack of oxygen this makes sense to me. You may be thinking of carbon monoxide like from car exhaust!

A popular reddit post went over this about a month ago and people who work in mines (where pockets of random gas are found and kill people) chimed in.
Nope, I'm thinking CO2. My readings on near death experiences due to O2 deprivation are that it causes a CO2 build-up that induces a feeling of euphoria. Such a wonderful topic we are on.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:59 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
I was the recipient of light CO poisoning when I was a kid riding in the back of my aunt's crappy old car which had an exhaust leak and literally holes in the floorboard. The closest thing I can compare it to (to memory, it was 45 years ago) is being quite drunk. I didn't feel sick or bad at all, and they all thought I was goofing around when we stopped at a rest stop at some point on the trip. I was perfectly happy but I was evidently high as a kite and not making sense.

When I had snakes I used to kill mice with CO2 and it seemed fairly humane I suppose, though I wouldn't watch. But I tried to euthanize a friend's pet rat with that CO2 chamber and it was horrible. The rat was jumping up to take breaths of good air, he seemed to figure out that the CO2 was that bad air on the bottom. I couldn't continue and took it to the vet to euth. Not throwing out a judgment one way or the other, just two of my life experiences. I stand by that there's not an ideal way to end another life.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Interesting ideas. I suppose depending on how sick the fish is, scooping it out and quickly finishing the job with a hammer MIGHT be easier/faster than overdosing it with clove oil. Though I think if the fish was still swimming around and has enough energy to fight being captured, attempting to net it would take longer, and most likely be more stressful for both parties. IMO, If the fish was just laying at the bottom, simply picking it up and killing it would be humane and overall painless if done correctly. Nevertheless, I am very thankful it was not my decision to make, and my goldfish decided it was time.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No judgement from me on what others opt for- I just know my own psyche- and using a hammer or the like just wouldn't work for me.
I figure in whatever method I choose I have to use the method that is less traumatic for me and the fish.
Others may find this silly- but, I have a strong hypersensitivity ( maybe to a detriment) in situations like this.
mossman77 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode