Potassium and Iron test kits? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Potassium and Iron test kits?

Hi everyone,
I would like to know how do you guys test your water for Potassium and Iron.
Is there a reliable test kit I can buy? What do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

I bought from kensfish website hagen test kit for iron,potassium and kh/gh.Its cheapest there and accurate for lower cost price range unless you have money to spend for laboratory test kit.These are better then seachem and api test kit.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

As far as I know most people are not monitoring potassium. I see more people testing for phosphate than potassium As to iron I like the hanna instruments HI746 checker. Yes it cost more than most test kit at $50 but it is very accurate. But you do need distilled water use it. I have RO / DI system at home that reliably produces water with a TDS of 1. They also have very good phosphate, ammonia, and alkalinity checkers. Sadly they don't make a nitrate checker.

https://hannainst.com/hi746-iron-low...eckerr-hc.html

https://hannainst.com/products/check...eter:Phosphate

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hanna iron tester works great. Just takes longer than most other tests you'll be doing.

There was a thread going on about the newer potassium test kit. I forgot the name of the product but it's also a long process.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Planted Member

I have the Hana iron and phosphate checker also.
Best way to test, all you have to do is read a number, not try to interpret some color in a tube that sometimes doesn't look like anything on the chart.

They make testing easy.

But unfortunately as already stated they don't make a nitrate test.

I test for potassium, easy life is the name of the test.
Pro shrimp is where I got it from.

The potassium test isn't too much work, the only wierd part is you put some cotton in the cap, it is used to strain out a dark precipitate that forms durring the test.
Then you pull the test water out of the cap that has the cotton in it with a little pipit, and put it in another tube to read the color.

That test help me get my dosing set up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I mainly need a test kit so that it can give me a vague idea of what my tap water parameters so I can have a starting point in understanding my water parameters and what needs to be added. The Hagen seems to be reasonable priced. The Hannah requires RO water so if I use tap water the test wont work, correct?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I mainly need a test kit so that it can give me a vague idea of what my tap water parameters so I can have a starting point in understanding my water parameters and what needs to be added. The Hagen seems to be reasonable priced. The Hannah requires RO water so if I use tap water the test wont work, correct?
Potassium: Easy-Life or JBL (I may be more inclined to the JBL - still testing it). Both available from Pro-Shrimp. I put details on the Easy-Life kit here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11196305

The JBL is a turbidity test, but is easy enough to distinguish a change. The Easy-Life is a color change approach.

Iron: Nutrafin. I’ve calibrated it and it can detect EDTA, DTPA and un-chelated. Some kits struggle with DTPA, e.g.; Seachem’s kit.

I doubt that you have potassium in your tap. It’s one of the few nutrients that rarely (I’ve never heard anyone report it) appears in tap water.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Planted Member

The Hana does not need anything but tank water, there are two test tubes, fill them both with tank water up to the line on the tube.
Cap one, the other one add the reagent powder to the vial and cap it.
The powder will disolve in about two min.
Place the tank water only test tube in the checker, push a button, it will tell you when to add the tube with the reagent in it, and then it is pretty much done.
You are supposed to clean the test vials well, as anny staining will cause trouble.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode