white crystal sheet formed in CSM+B - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
white crystal sheet formed in CSM+B

I was out of town for work for two weeks.
When I came home, things didn't look that good.

I have auto dosing set up, sort of a must with all of the traveling that I do.
I noticed that the micro mix that is Pantex CSM+B really didn't drop down much at all in two weeks.

I switched the timer from auto to on and nothing happened.
The little powerhead, it was an old power sweep in the micro mix would not run, nor did the dosing pump.

I think that the powerhead shorted out, and took out the timer.
So I think that the concentrated micro mix sat without the powerhead ever running for at least a week and a half.

The micro mix had some sort of crystalline white sheet on the bottom.
Anny idea what that might be?
I am thinking that maybe I need to mix the CSM+B not as strong and run the dosing pump longer.

I had 75 teaspoons in one gallon of distilled water, along with 140 ml of excel to prevent anything from growing in there.

I picked up a Marineland maxi-jet 400 and set it up in circulation mode, that I siliconed to the side of the container earlier in the week.
It seems to be moving things around quite well.

I am thinking about adding 40 teaspoons to a gallon of distilled water, I currently am in the middle of making up a new batch
and have 20 teaspoons of CSM+B in a gallon right now.

Is there a limit to the amount of Pantex CSM+B that you can put in a gallon?
And was the addition of the excel to prevent funk from growing in it a bad idea?
I seen a post where it was recommended to prevent fungus growth, but that was a macro mix not a micro.

I figured this situation is worth a post.

And of course I am going to be on the road for a while starting Monday.

Last edited by Jbubba001; 07-28-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The FE EDTA in CSM does degrade at a PH of above 6.5. Don't know if that was the cause of your issue but I would recommend adding vinegar or some other acid to your distilled water to make it slightly acidic (PH of 6). That would prevent the CSM from degrading.

There is a limit to how much you can dissolve into water but I don't know what the limit is. Adding a small amount of Excel wouldn't hurt either since it would prevent any mold or bacterial growth in the mix. But I would emphasize small amount. I did use it in a macro mix once so that one regulator dose had about the recommended daily dose of excel. Then one day I gave it an extra dose of macro. So without realizing it I overdosed the tank with excel. Didn't kill and of my shrimp but it definitely did effect my plants (growth slowed for about 3 weeks). I personally haven't has any bio growth in my micro mix (home made, not CSM) with just RO DI water (TDS of 1).

Last edited by Surf; 07-28-2019 at 08:37 PM. Reason: removed bump

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode