A Slightly Different Nitrogen Cycle Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Slightly Different Nitrogen Cycle Question

The 46 gallon bowfront aquarum has been running 10 months (goldfish over wintered in it), but for the last couple months, it has been running inhabited only by plants and snails. I am assuming that the nitrogen cycle will reoccur if fish are added again, as I assume without fish waste, the nitrifying bacteria are gone? Is this an accurate assumption?

I need to know if I ought to redo a fishless cycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
You'd need to be sure the tank can process the amount of waste your livestock will produce.

In order to do that, you'd need to add ammonia and have it processed to nitrate in a day before adding livestock. So... need to try out a fishless 'cycle' again. It may not take long since the tank is well-established.

How heavily is it planted? Have photos?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would say the tank is lightly to moderately planted. There is a fair colony of vals along the back, hornwort, some java fern that has never done that well, and 2 good sized swords. I limited myself to plants I thought would survive the goldfish. Unfortunately I am not figuring out how to post photos when accessing the forum from my smartphone.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Usually snail poop is pretty good at keeping all bacteria fed if there’s enough of them. Are you talking in Winter when you bring goldfish back in?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There are a fair number of ramshorn snails in the aquarium now. Actually, this aquarium is being turned into a temperate water community tank, so when fish are reintroduced the bioload will be much smaller than that of goldfish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode