Noob to dosing needing advice for algae control - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Noob to dosing needing advice for algae control

Hey all,

About a week ago I started fertilizing my 30g planted tank that is a month old. Currently following the Seachem dosing routine using Flourish, Potassium, Iron, and Trace. While I've seen positive changes to my plants I have also gotten a huge algae bloom. Mainly hair algae and green spot algae along with the standard algae growing on glass.

Here are my water parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0-5 (I know its low, I cant seem to get it up even though I have added fish)
PH: 7.4-7.6
CO2: 2-3 bubbles per second
Hardness: 75-150ppm
Alkalinity: 120-240ppm

Additionally doing one to two 50% RODI water changes per week dosing Equilibrium to 5 gdh

Should I keep following the Seachem dosing routine or am I dosing to heavily? The tank has got a lot of plants in it and I say 30-40% of the substrate is planted. I would love some recommendations as well as experience from people who have followed this routine.

Thanks in advance
-Grimey

Last edited by Grimey; 07-28-2019 at 03:26 AM. Reason: descriptions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Light and schedule itís on?

Full tank pic showing filters and setup?

Exact amounts of each Seachem additive your dosing and how often?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should have probably mentioned that my bad...

Light: Fluval PlanSpectrum LED 46W which sits about 19" above the substrate. I have it on the brightest factory setting and it runs 10 hrs per day.
Filter: Cascade 700

Dosing right now is as follows:
Flourish: 3 ml twice per week
Flourish Trace: 7.5 ml twice per week
Flourish Potassium: 5 ml twice per week
Flourish Iron: 3 ml four times per week

Here's a link to the imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/kQz7kKl

Algae on the glass went from spotless to like this in about 3 days...
Also, I don't run the powerhead anymore as it seemed to disturb the angelfish...

Last edited by Grimey; 07-28-2019 at 03:27 AM. Reason: descriptions

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

I’m seeing a bunch of low demand plants that would probably only need 1/2 of what your dosing in actuality.

Also try to figure why your PH and KH are so high when your starting with RO water. Is your CO2 on solenoid/timer?

Also turn circ pump back on and just point it more at back so hits back wall blowing down out of main swimming area, you need the high->low circulation.

Agree most those circ pumps are to hard for a lot of planted aquarium. You can make a diffuser sock out of cheap $5 a roll fiberglass window screen mesh and zip tie it on housing to soften the flow.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So higher demand plants or lower fertilizing? any recs for plants? I was going to get some stem plants

PH and KH are so high because I am in a constant battle with figuring out baking soda doses lol. Alk dropped the other night and had to bring it back up to avoid dropping PH. CO2 is on a timer with the lights.

Will do for the circ pump... heard good things for algae control which is why i got in the first place...

appreciate the info
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Do you have nitrate and phosphate additives? You need to make sure those are on target and never drop to zero or algae will gain upper hand. Shoot for nitrate around 15íish currently and phosphate 3-4ppm.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I tried finding potassium nitrate to increase nitrate but was unable to from home depot or ace.... should have probably ordered it. Thought the somewhat heavy bioload for a month old tank would get me some nitrates but nope... maybe not fully cycled yet

I can get more ferts... will Flourish Nitrogen work towards satisfying nitrate needs? I can also get the phosphate additive if its necessary. For some reason thought that fert was more for low bioload planted tanks that didnt have enough fish to produce it.

Ill have to also get a phosphate test.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimey View Post
I tried finding potassium nitrate to increase nitrate but was unable to from home depot or ace.... .
Spectricide stump remover is pure KNO3. That will provide you with both Nitrate and potassium. There are a few brands that are 100% KNO3, some aren't so don't just purchase any stump remover. I usually find the Spectricide brand at Lowes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode