Some advise of water column fertilizer and whether I need it or not? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Some advise of water column fertilizer and whether I need it or not?

I have redone my 150 liter aquarium this past Sunday with new plants and hardscape and I am wondering whether I'm required to add daily water column fertilizers.
If so, when can I start with the fertilizer to be sure I don't get excessive algae while the plants are still adapting ?

The Substrate I'm using is JBL Aquabasis capped with JBL Manado, no co2 injection or co2 liquid fertilizer.
Plant list as follows:

LUDWIGIA REPENS x 10 stems
LUDWIGIA ARCUATA x 15 stems
ECHINODORUS MACROPHYLLUS x 2
ECHINODORUS QUADRICOSTATUS VAR. MAGDALENENSIS x 5
ECHINODORUS URUGUAYENSIS x 2
VALISNERIA GIGANTEA x 10
EGARIA DENSA x about 10 stems
NYMPHAEA LOTUS x 3
LILAEOPSIS MAURITIANA x ABOUT 8 PLANTINGS
I am planning on adding Java fern, anubias nana, Hydrocotyle Tripartita and Marsilea Hirsuta to fill in some empty spaces.

Any advise on this will be much appreciated !!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes you will need fertilizer.

NO3 PO4 K+ can be dosed 1x per week after a large water change, or broken into smaller doses throughout the week.

Search EI dosing, PPS-Pro dosing, Thrive dosing and look for one you would like to try out.

Micro's can be dosed daily... 3x per week is usually good.

Search CSM+B dosing, DTPA Iron, Flourish Comprehensive + Flourish Advance, gH, pH, kH, Thrive and see which ones you would like to try out.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quagulator, thanks for this advise.

I have JBL Ferropol which should be added to aquarium after each water change - Some info on it:
"Ferropol by JBL is a basis-fertilizer for freshwater aquariums.This fertilizer contains iron and potassium as well as other trace elements, but no nitrate or phosphate." and

JBL Ferropol 24 which is a daily fertilizer - some info on it:
"Ferropol - 24 by JBL is a daily fertilizer for freshwater aquariums. This fertilizer contains trace elements that cannot be stored within the aquarium and, thus, must be injected on a daily basis"

Should I start with these fertilizers straight away or should I wait a full week or two ?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Start right away with the fertilizers.

I suggested the EI, PPS pro or Thrive dosing schedules because they are a complete package and cover all your bases. The JBL you have does not cover the nutrients needed most (Nitrogen PO4 and K)

My 30g Journal:

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I'll have a look where I can find what you suggesting. I do have some Seachem Nitrogen and Iron. You think I can dose this in the meanwhile as well?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedManFromSA View Post
Thanks, I'll have a look where I can find what you suggesting. I do have some Seachem Nitrogen and Iron. You think I can dose this in the meanwhile as well?
Yes that will work

My 30g Journal:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, went and read up quickly. Seems I'm definitely gonna have to invest in a proper CO2 system for EI dosing. It doesn't seem to complicated, I'll just need powdered fertilizer but I'm not sure where I'll find it in South Africa. In the meanwhile I will dose what I have available. Thanks

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedManFromSA View Post
Ok, went and read up quickly. Seems I'm definitely gonna have to invest in a proper CO2 system for EI dosing. It doesn't seem to complicated, I'll just need powdered fertilizer but I'm not sure where I'll find it in South Africa. In the meanwhile I will dose what I have available. Thanks
You don;t need CO2 for EI... you can try the EI "light" version...

Or a modified EI targeting 10ppm of NO3 and 10ppm of K weekly, 3 - 5 ppm PO4 weekly and then two or three doses of CSM+B or another micro fertilizer targeting 0.15ppm Fe. Large 50%+ water changes weekly...

Or go with the PPS-pro method..

My 30g Journal:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Had a look at the PPS-Pro method below

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pla...d.html%3famp=1

This seems like the way to go. I think I might have discovered why I've never been successful at planted aquariums.

Sorry I'm still kind of new to this and it seems like there's still a lot I need to learn regarding plants.

Im still planning on getting a bunch of plants to fill the aquarium but I'm scared they all just fade away, so I'll get these powdered ferts and start with that and see how it goes before I buy more plants.

If you have any more suggestions please feel free to advise me what to do.

Thanks a lot!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There are people who sell premixed packs of fertilizers too. Mich easier than mixing your own and not as expensive as the main brands.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Ddrizzle, I'm gonna browse the net today and see where I can get the premixed ferts. I did see a couple last night on the Web. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
There are people who sell premixed packs of fertilizers too. Mich easier than mixing your own and not as expensive as the main brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
You don;t need CO2 for EI... you can try the EI "light" version...

Or a modified EI targeting 10ppm of NO3 and 10ppm of K weekly, 3 - 5 ppm PO4 weekly and then two or three doses of CSM+B or another micro fertilizer targeting 0.15ppm Fe. Large 50%+ water changes weekly...

Or go with the PPS-pro method..
Are you guys familiar with this product ?

"Aquaforest" I see they sell a premixed Micro and Macro ferts and I can get it S.A for a good price.

Some info on the AF Micro:
HOW TO USE:

8 drops per day or 4 ml AF Micro per 100l of water once a week. Recommended parallel use with AF Macro, AF Carbon Boost or AF PO4 Boost and AF N Boost. Parallel supplementation with other micronutrient formulas should not be carried out due to the risk of plant overexposure. Absorbents such as zeolite and/or carbon may reduce effectiveness of the formula.

1 ml in 10 l of aquarium water will raise levels:

Mo Molybdenum 0,0012 mg/l (ppm)
Ni Nickel 0,00021 mg/l (ppm)
Mn Manganese 0,25 mg/l (ppm)
Co Cobalt 0,0003 mg/l (ppm)
Fe Iron 0,38 mg/l (ppm)
Zn Zinc 0,037 mg/l (ppm)
Mg Magnesium 1,2 mg/l (ppm)
Ca Calcium 0,45 mg/l (ppm)
K Potassium 8,16 mg/l (ppm)
B Boron 0,021 mg/l (ppm)
Sr Strontium 0,02 mg/l (ppm)
Br Bromine 0,004 mg/l (ppm)
Ti Titanium 0,00345 mg/l (ppm)
Cu Copper 0,005 mg/l (ppm)

Info on AF Macro:
HOW TO USE:

5 ml AF Macro per 100 l of water two times a week. Recommended parallel use with AF Micro and AF Carbon Boost. Parallel supplementation with other formulas containing macronutrients should not be carried out due to the risk of plant overexposure and algae bloom. Absorbents such as zeolite and/or carbon may reduce effectiveness of the formula. In case of a higher demand for any of macronutrients, AF N Boost, AF PO4, and AF K Boost may be additionally applied.

1 ml in 10 l of aquarium water will raise levels:

N Nitrogen 7,0 mg/l (ppm)
P Phosphorus 0,3 mg/l (ppm)
K Potassium 7,00 mg/l (ppm)
Mg Magnesium 0,9 mg/l (ppm)
Ca Calcium 0,2 mg/l (ppm)

Maybe I should get this along with the AF Carbon Boost as I dont have Co2 in the aquarium.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-26-2019 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Targets View Post
Use a proper soil test kit to determine the actual levels of major nutrients and the pH of the soil before applying fertilisers. Donít forget that an acid soil will not enable many vegetables to take full advantage of the nutrients present in the soil.

Bump: Use a proper soil test kit to determine the actual levels of major nutrients and the pH of the soil before applying fertilisers. Donít forget that an acid soil will not enable many vegetables to take full advantage of the nutrients present in the soil.
Hi, I take note of that thank you

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode