Need input on remineralizing RODI water for planted aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need input on remineralizing RODI water for planted aquarium

I have very funky water where I live, and this has prevented me from having a successful planted aquarium in the past. My LFS recommends using RODI water and remineralizing, this is what they have to do in order to keep plants alive in our area. The combination of products they suggested I use was (all Seachem):

Equilibrium
Acid Buffer
Alkaline Buffer

And then Flourish and Trace fertilizers for the plants

This seems to work for them but it also seems less complex than other remineralizing plans for planted tanks that Ive seen. Simply put, does this combination of products seem sufficient to you or should I figure out a different regimen? Is it missing anything?

Also for reference I am aiming for soft water with a ph of 6.5-7 for specific killifish and plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Just use RODI and Seachem equilibrium. Don't need those other buffers, they're just trying to make a buck off you. If it makes you feel better you can add a sodium (baking soda) or potassium bicarbonate at a rate of 1/16-1/8 tsp per 5 gallons of water to raise dKH by ~1. For killifish you should add only a very small pinch of bicarb to the water in order to feed your bacteria.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
I'm with @Jeffww on this one. Equilibrium is fine without the rest.

And if you want to get really technical with baking soda, you can do some gram/milligram measuring to dial things in.

I recently tested a box of baking soda from Kroger and found that 1 gram per gallon raises KH about 8. Which obviously means 0.5g raises a gallon to KH 4 and 0.25g to KH 2ish. This particular variety of baking soda increases TDS about 33-35 for 2ish degrees of KH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Define planted tank? Low tech or high tech with co2?

Define specific killi and plants?

But agree with all you really need is equilibrium.

Niloc Thrive is a good AIO fert option and way better price to dosing ratio if your just keeping plants in a low tech, no need for 2 part solution really, just dose usually 1/3 to 1/2 strength on daily or every other day schedule. KISS philosophy dosing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode