Trouble getting Stigma to stay alive - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trouble getting Stigma to stay alive

I set up a new (to me) 72gal (48" bow front) tank about 2 months ago, and I'm having trouble getting plants to carpet.

I used filtration media and water from a clean established tank and was able to cycle pretty fast. I left the tank with no plants for about 3 weeks, and then installed the Co2 and a bunch of Stigma and some reineckii mini both from Tropica.

Also, I have been fertilizing with Seachem comprehensive 2-3 times per week, Seachem nitrogen, potassium, and Phosphorous, and doing a 20-30% water change weekly.

My Stigma is not shooting runners and it seems to be thinning out and getting pale. The Reineckii is darkening and losing its red hue.

I have some powder ferts on-hand and I could switch to doing EI, but I think what I'm doing already should be good enough to get the plants to at least not die. What am I missing?

There was a green algae bloom before I planted, presumably because I had the light on and the substrate was full of nutrients with no plants. Once I planted and added Co2, the algae is a lot milder.

Some stats:

- 20gal sump with plenty of bioballs and ceramic media from an established tank, purigen, act. charcoal
- Sump pump is capable of ~ 750 gal per hour
- UV sterilizer (currently in the tank, planning on moving to the pump compartment of sump)
- 72W MicMol LED AA-900 Planted lamp on auto settings (gradual on-off cycle about 9h/day)
- Co2 - My bubble counter is broken, so I eyeballed the pressure to keep drop checker green. Using 4dKH.
- Flourite + Aquasoil substrate. ~2-3in deep
- Rock hardscape

Water params:

- 25-26℃ (77-79F)
- 0 Nitrite
- 0 Amonia
- ~ 40 mg/L Nitrate
- 6.0 pH

Some pics of the plants below. I will post better pics once I clean the algae off the back glass.

Thanks in advance, all!

https://imgur.com/a/Sri9HsO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Light totally underpowered for a 20Ē water column depth. Glosso needs about 2x that minimum.

Nitrates to high for AR mini to keep good red color. Shoot for 15, 20max. 15 would be good target with amount of light you have.

What are Phosphate, KH and GH readings?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

What light would you recommend? Should I just add a second micmol? or should I get something else?

I ordered a KH/GH test, will report asap.

Thank you!

I just added a Fluval Planted 3.0 48" alongside the MicMol.. Hoping that'll be enough for carpeting plants.

I'm watching the nitrates too.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-23-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode