C02 Higher In The Morning? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
C02 Higher In The Morning?

Hi everyone, as you can see I am still trying to fine tune my c02 injection. Degassed tank water is 7.29 and I'm shooting for a 1.2ph drop by the time the lights come on at 3:30pm, that should put me at a ph of 6.09 So the c02 comes on at 12 noon and the ph is at 7.08, by 3:30pm (lights on) the ph is 6.25 and basically stays there until lights out at 10:30pm. The c02 shuts off at 9:30pm one hour before lights out. I got up this morning at 8:30 am and my ph was 6.10, what I want but wrong time of day lol. I have good surface agitation via powerhead and cannister return and Seneye monitor estimates 02 at 8.4. Fish look fine, no gasping at surface so I know the 02 is good. Should I still shoot for my target when lights come on, at the risk of overshooting it by early morning? 02 suggests that I dont need an overnight bubbler. Am I right in assuming this is left over c02?

Thoughts and comments always appreciated!

Cheers!...Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

It sounds suspect that your co2 is at it's lowest 11 hrs after shutoff, especially with good surface agitation. Do you have drop checkers or any other redundant way of checking if that number is accurate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
It sounds suspect that your co2 is at it's lowest 11 hrs after shutoff, especially with good surface agitation. Do you have drop checkers or any other redundant way of checking if that number is accurate.
Yes drop checker is still green! Ph pen was calibrated yesterday morning and again this morning

Cheers!...Peter

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75rimlesspete View Post
Yes drop checker is still green! Ph pen was calibrated yesterday morning and again this morning
Interesting, then it moves up a whole point in just 3.5 hrs before lights on. Got me, Unless the readings were taking before after water changes with aquasoil, etc. or any other additive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Interesting, then it moves up a whole point in just 3.5 hrs before lights on. Got me, Unless the readings were taking before after water changes with aquasoil, etc. or any other additive.
No changes, but I do have ADA soil. I read somewhere on the forum that it's possible to have leftover c02 from the day before, that plus the added c02 from plants during the night might add up.

Cheers!...Peter
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
No changes, but I do have ADA soil. I read somewhere on the forum that it's possible to have leftover c02 from the day before, that plus the added c02 from plants during the night might add up.
'

I hear what your saying. I just never thought of the co2 given off by the plants to be a large factor compared to the injection. Plus it's odd that it goes to it's lowest after 11 hrs and then it's at it's highest 3.5 hrs later.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Scratching my head too lol

Bump: Scratching my head too lol

Cheers!...Peter
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I'm curious how you have a degassed pH of 7.29 with ADA. Are you using remineralized RO and adding KH? Or are you using tap? ADA releases humic acid and removes carbonates, so your pH should always be below 7.

If you have a KH test kit, I'd be checking your KH as it could be dropping, causing the pH to also drop. Again, ADA removes carbonates if they're present, and it's best to use RO water without adding back carbonates, as this extends the life of the substrate.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I'm curious how you have a degassed pH of 7.29 with ADA. Are you using remineralized RO and adding KH? Or are you using tap? ADA releases humic acid and removes carbonates, so your pH should always be below 7.

If you have a KH test kit, I'd be checking your KH as it could be dropping, causing the pH to also drop. Again, ADA removes carbonates if they're present, and it's best to use RO water without adding back carbonates, as this extends the life of the substrate.
Pure tap water no additives

Degassed tap water is ph 7.9-8, Gh-7 Kh-5, Nirates-0

Degassed tank water is ph 7.29, Gh-4, Kh-2, Temp 75

C02 off at 9:30pm last night Ph-6.22

Today

8:30am ph-6.10
9:30am ph-6.13
10:30am ph-6.18
11:30 ph-6.18 C02 on at 12:00 noon
12:30pm ph-6.18
1:30pm ph-6.16
2:30pm ph-6.18
3:30pm ph-6.19

And that's where we are so far!

Cheers!...Peter
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well the good news is your getting a green drop checker, your getting about 1 pt drop and your tank (looked at your other thread) looks very nice. Clean and healthy.

I never really measured my co2 that way, so maybe someone else will chime in who has good plant mass and has measured there co2 all the way through. You have times where the co2 is higher with no co2 running so I just find that strange. You do have a lot of plant mass, but I didn't think that would factor that much.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ha ha don't you just love C02!

Cheers!...Peter
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

LOL it can be a pain, but is so vital. I actually think it should be as mandatory as a filter/light. I don't start any tank without it.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I'm still scratching my head Got up this morning and the ph was 6.98 compared to 6.10 yesterday, nothing was changed. Tomorrow is water change day and I do a 50% water change every Monday. I will use tomorrow as a starting point and monitor the tank for the rest of the week to see what happens.

Cheers!...Peter
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

I had this problem as well! In the morning the drop checker was still very green despite the fact that I have a wet/dry fliter and plenty of de- gassing. It turns out that the timer I was using had the little "pull out to turn off" links on the dial and a number of them had been inadvertently pushed in (very easy to do). So the CO2 was coming back on during the night! I fixed this by removing all of the little "links/clips" for the "off" hours so that I could not accidentally push them in.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Michael I could see that happening. My c02 is controlled by a "smart plug" Amazon Alexa. I have only one program to turn "on" and one to turn "off" so there's no way for it to screw up unless there's a power failure, and then the c02 would be off anyway

Cheers!...Peter

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode