Ammonia not dropping - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ammonia not dropping

I have a lone betta in a ten gallon tank. He's been in there since the beginning of summer and has been doing well. It's a bare bottom tank with minimal decorations, but is only temporary until he goes back to school with my wife.

I went to change the water on Saturday evening and did my usual routine. Empty water, toss in prime, fill tank with water. It's worked for months and is the same process I use on the bigger tank.

Later that evening I noticed he looked terrible. Hanging out around the bottom, didn't come out for dinner, so I put him in a small breeder/fry box in a much larger tank that has been up and running for years. I then did another 50% change and re-added Prime.

By Sunday betta boy looked better. Had gained some color and was actively eating and swimming in his little breeder box.

I tested the ammonia level Sunday evening in his tank and it was in the .25 range on the API chart, nitrite 0. I tested the water in the bigger tank for comparison and it tested at 0. I tossed in some biological media from my canister filter that is filtering my bigger tank, waited a day, and retested Monday, Tuesday, and again this evening. All parameters are the same.

At minimum, I expected to notice a drop in ammonia levels and a spike in nitrite by now. I'm wary of placing the betta back in his tank and causing him harm because of the readings, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why everything is remaining the same.

I would greatly appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Test your PH/GH/KH of both tap and his tank. Sounds like PH shock to me.

Last edited by DaveKS; 07-11-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Typo
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Test you PH/GH/KH of both tap and his tank. Sounds like PH shock to me.
I'll do so tomorrow first thing when I get home. Can you elaborate on PH shock? Haven't heard of it. I wonder why it would only effect the smaller tank and not the larger. Both get tap water mixed with prime.

I can tell you right now I have high PH (8 - ish generally) and water on the harder side.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What kind of filter is on the 10 Gallon tank? Did you recently clean it with tap water or start it over?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych View Post
I'll do so tomorrow first thing when I get home. Can you elaborate on PH shock? Haven't heard of it. I wonder why it would only effect the smaller tank and not the larger. Both get tap water mixed with prime.

I can tell you right now I have high PH (8 - ish generally) and water on the harder side.
If new water is a lot higher in PH and you change it to fast you can shock the fish. Especially if he goes trying to swim right through new water your pouring in.

Ideally you should put your water in bucket, let set for 12hr minimum so it comes to room temp and equalizes to atmospheric gases. Then you can take reading of your tap waters true ph reading. PH will usually drop after setting overnight and be more in line with your tanks PH because it absorb CO2 from atmosphere as it sets overnight.

Then add prime to that bucket 10min before changing water. Don’t add prime at beginning, do it right before water change.

Heres the basics of PH shock....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Causes
Large water changes performed when the old water has a large pH difference to the new water.
CO2 excess during the night or when the supply of CO2 changes and the KH level in the water is too low (typically less than 4dKH (~70ppm)) so causing large pH changes. Usually this happens when your water is soft.
Chemicals added which alter the pH too much.
Transporting a fish in a plastic bag for too long (say greater than 3 hours), and then opening the bag, can cause a rapid pH shift within 20 minutes as gases trapped in the water are released. This can seriously shock or kill the fish if left in the bag.
Adding a measure of water conditioner before transport can greatly reduce this effect. Or simply do not open the bag until ready to release the animal.
The amount of a sudden change of pH is tolerated differently by different species of aquatic animals, and one should try not to find the limits for one's pets.

Effects
Fish will become lethargic, they stop eating, their dorsal fin drops and they remain relatively motionless or rest on the substrate. Some may produce excess slime on their bodies giving a off colour or off-white look to their bodies. More easily seen if the fish is dark in colour.

Within a few days if the pH shock continues then the fish will usually die.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should also educate yourself on osmotic shock as well.

Last edited by DaveKS; 07-11-2019 at 02:53 AM. Reason: edit
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Algae Grower

Have you also tested for Nitrates? I know you said the tank has been setup for a few months. Did it ever show a reading of Nitrates? Is it possible you are seeing a mini cycle?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode