Remineralizing RODI water - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Many of the ingredients listed above post can be found on amazon.com, nilocg.com. Just make sure you are getting a pure product without dies, fragrances and other additives.
Hmm, I don't see any of the bicarbonates on niloc or gla's site.

Amazon's selection looks like the wild west of fertilizer. Some are crazy expensive, others look sketchy, can't trust I'd be getting something pure.

Edit: I'm gonna check a home brew store near my workplace on Monday and see what they all have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use the Seachem line of products for my tanks (the ones geared toward planted tanks). Bit of a pain to calculate the exact formula you need (mostly in converting numbers) but their web site helps and I have found it to work well for planted tanks.
Miller likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post
Where do you buy the k2co3?
https://www.amazon.com/CellarScience...79Q7E20H6Z6Q99

------------------

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Quote:
Where do you buy the k2co3?
https://www.amazon.com/CellarScience...79Q7E20H6Z6Q99
Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks 🙂

Can you tell me why you choose this particular bicarbonate instead of others?

Trying to figure out if there is any advantage from one to the other. So far it sounds like a question of... "Hello sir, would you like to add sodium, potassium or calcium with your kh?"
Greggz likes this.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks 🙂

Can you tell me why you choose this particular bicarbonate instead of others?

Trying to figure out if there is any advantage from one to the other. So far it sounds like a question of... "Hello sir, would you like to add sodium, potassium or calcium with your kh?"
Yeah, that's about it.

Which do you want to add?

Personally I don't want to add sodium. I've used CaCO3, but you need to keep in mind it is not very soluble, and can take a long time to dissolve.

So I stick with K2CO3. But honestly, I bet you can find examples of folks using all of the above with nice tanks. In the scheme of things, a small decision that probably doesn't add up to much. Plenty of other things to be more concerned about.

------------------
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
So I stick with K2CO3. But honestly, I bet you can find examples of folks using all of the above with nice tanks. In the scheme of things, a small decision that probably doesn't add up to much. Plenty of other things to be more concerned about.

I think K2CO3 (Potassium Carbonate) is riskier than KHCO3 (Potassium Bicarbonate) for adding carbonates, it is stronger diprotic base. Both must be mixed in change water well in advance(to mix and stabilize ph) but even then you run the risk of raising pH significantly at water changes with k2CO3 for the same raise in dkh which plants and fish may not appreciate.

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
I think K2CO3 (Potassium Carbonate) is riskier than KHCO3 (Potassium Bicarbonate) for adding carbonates, it is stronger diprotic base. Both must be mixed in change water well in advance(to mix and stabilize ph) but even then you run the risk of raising pH significantly at water changes with k2CO3 for the same raise in dkh which plants and fish may not appreciate.
Just curious do have any experience using K2CO3? I've been using it for about 3 years now. Fish and plants both are doing fine, in fact very well.

You will get an immediate rise in pH with either K2CO3 or KHCO3, it's just a matter of relative dosage. My pH stabilizes to 7.05 in my RO tanks, and my degassed tank water is always steady 7.05. How is there a risk of raising pH significantly at water changes that will harm fish and plants?

And yes, best practice with either is to dose stored RO water to allow levels to stabilize. Helps to have flow and aeration in the RO tanks as well.

------------------
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Just curious do have any experience using K2CO3? I've been using it for about 3 years now. Fish and plants both are doing fine, in fact very well.

You will get an immediate rise in pH with either K2CO3 or KHCO3, it's just a matter of relative dosage. My pH stabilizes to 7.05 in my RO tanks, and my degassed tank water is always steady 7.05. How is there a risk of raising pH significantly at water changes that will harm fish and plants?

And yes, best practice with either is to dose stored RO water to allow levels to stabilize. Helps to have flow and aeration in the RO tanks as well.
Yes I have used it in my lab for titration experiments. I wouldn't use it in my tank, I'd get the bicarbonate.

It can raise the ph to ph=>10 for 1dkh concentration if not left open to mix with atmospheric CO2.
I'd expect around ~ph=8 in your change water If left to react with atmospheric CO2 and equilibrate properly.

Add dry K2CO3 crystals to a tank (I know some people mistakenly did this) you can melt your plants its much more dangerous than the bicarbonate as its a stronger diprotic base.

It depends on how much you want to raise kh how long you wait for it to mix and equilibrate. I'd rather not take that risk it is is not as strong a base as NaOH but is still quite alkaline.

What is the ph and dkh of your remineralized RO water(not tank water) before you add it to your tank? (ph=7.05 must be your tank water not the water change water, if you are shooting for 1dkh.)

Last edited by cl3537; 07-05-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: ...
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
the best way would be to combine Caso4, Cacl, Ca gluconate, CaNo3, MgSo4, MgNo3, Mg Gluconate, Use KHco3 to raise K and Kh. i suggest to use these as to keep the S and Cl levels low in the tank, no need to use baking soda to raise Kh, Na is also not needed by plants and can be bad for them in the long run when it builds up.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
What is the ph and dkh of your remineralized RO water(not tank water) before you add it to your tank? (ph=7.05 must be your tank water not the water change water, if you are shooting for 1dkh.)
The RO water is dosed immediately after a water change. It sits for a week with aeration and circulation pumps and stabilizes. The pH reading is 7.05 right before it goes into the tank. The tank itself is also at 7.05 degassed. Both are at about 1 dKH. So 1 dKH water at pH 7.05 is replaced with 1 dKH water at pH 7.05. I am still not getting the "risk"??

But listen, I am only speaking from personal experience with dosing RO water for years. Have you ever actually dosed RO water for a planted tank?
Maryland Guppy and Discusluv like this.

------------------
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
It sits for a week with aeration and circulation pumps and stabilizes.
The pH reading is 7.05 right before it goes into the tank.

Have you ever actually dosed RO water for a planted tank?
@Greggz you are way better @ your game than me.

I make RODI when my Brute cans get low, add nothing, do nothing.
Use this for WC's/top offs and the pH is just under 5.0
Check my GH & KH once in a while and dump what I need in the corner filter.
Greggz likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
@Greggz you are way better @ your game than me.
More likely way more nuts than you!

I am a nerd for the details. Makes me sleep better at night. So yeah, a bit nuts for sure!
Maryland Guppy likes this.

------------------
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The RO water is dosed immediately after a water change. It sits for a week with aeration and circulation pumps and stabilizes. The pH reading is 7.05 right before it goes into the tank. The tank itself is also at 7.05 degassed. Both are at about 1 dKH. So 1 dKH water at pH 7.05 is replaced with 1 dKH water at pH 7.05. I am still not getting the "risk"??

But listen, I am only speaking from personal experience with dosing RO water for years. Have you ever actually dosed RO water for a planted tank?
I'm not that interested in YOUR methods and YOUR tank it doesn't apply to others who don't store water and aerate it for a WEEK!
So maybe instead of attacking my experience you should think about how myopic your advice is and that most people don't aerate their change water for a week.

Yes its a bit surprising that you can chew up all the basicity with atmospheric aearation after a week but I'll assume you aren't mistaken or lieing and its possible you get enough CO2 in the water to take your water close to theoretical 1dkh water with no additional basicity.

We run into arguments mostly because your advice is so myopic and you think the way you do things applies to EVERYONELSE without any caveats or details.

Just try testing the ph of Distilled Water with freshly mixed Potassium Carbonate to 0.065mmol(~1dkh) if you don't see high ph immediately ~9-10 than you have magic water and I can disregard just about everything you say.

Last edited by cl3537; 07-06-2019 at 06:13 AM. Reason: ...
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not that interested in YOUR methods and YOUR tank it doesn't apply to others who don't store water and aerate it for a WEEK!
So maybe instead of attacking my experience you should think about how myopic your advice is and that most people don't aerate their change water for a WEEK!

Yes its a bit surprising that you can chew up all the basicity with CO2 injection after a week but I'll assume you aren't mistaken or lieing and its possible you get enough CO2 in the water to take your water close to theoretical 1dkh water with no additional basicity.

We run into arguments mostly because your advice is so myopic and you think the way you do things applies to EVERYONELSE without any caveats or details.

Just try testing the ph of freshly mixed Potassium Carbonate if you don't see high ph than you have magic water and I can disregard just about everything you say.
Dang dude, you literally questioned him about HIS water and then you freak out when his answers are specific to him?
Greggz and oval291 like this.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Dang dude, you literally questioned him about HIS water and then you freak out when his answers are specific to him?

I posted here to warn YOU that there are safer choices other than potassium carbonate. The social dynamics of this board make it practically impossible for you to get that message or you simply don't care to listen. So best of luck with potassium carbonate, hopefully you will be as careful as Greggz is with his mineralization and this will be a non issue for you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode