RO water, remineralization, fertilization - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO water, remineralization, fertilization

Hey guys,

I hope this is ok to post and hasn't been answered and beaten to death.

Where I live the Ph of our water is pretty high (8/8.5). For this reason I have decided to start switching to RO water. I have talked with a few local hobbyists, and they have advised me to add Gh to my water and call it a day (along with my ferts) but is that enough?

The aquarium in question is small (12G), is does have CO2 and a proper light. My main question is how to make the water suitable for the plants inside. I have seem some videos where they only use Equilibrium, others videos where they add a Kh buffer and then an acid buffer. I have no clue what to do and the entire prospect is extremely intimidating. Sorry for the ramble and I hope I was clear enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is the PH of water after letting it stand in open in bucket for 24hrs to equalize to atmosphere?

What about GH and KH?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:16 PM
Planted Member

RO water means everything is zero. That means you need to get your hardness back up - Gh (magnesium and calcium) and kh ("carbonates"). There are plenty of gh booster products and people use things like baking soda for kh. These are especially important if you want to keep shrimp as they need calcium for their shells.

After that you start getting into macro and micro nutrients for your plants.

For now though, you need to research basic water chemistry as it applies to aquariums. This is all over the internet or you can buy a book like Sunken Gardens.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post

For now though, you need to research basic water chemistry as it applies to aquariums. This is all over the internet or you can buy a book like Sunken Gardens.
Thank you! I’ll go check it out right now.

I’ve never let my water stand for 24 hours or read about doing so, but I’ll do more research. Thank you for pointing me into a direction.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

When you do RO water change, letís say 50% => 6 gallon,
add 1.0 gram NaHCO3 backing soda, it adds 1.5 dKH. Also add 2.0 grams CaSO4 for 20 ppm Ca, 1.0 gram MgSO4 Epsom salt for 4 ppm Mg, and 1.0 gram K2SO4 for 20 ppm K. What kind of CO2 system do you have?

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
When you do RO water change, let’s say 50% => 6 gallon,
add 1.0 gram NaHCO3 backing soda, it adds 1.5 dKH. Also add 2.0 grams CaSO4 for 20 ppm Ca, 1.0 gram MgSO4 Epsom salt for 4 ppm Mg, and 1.0 gram K2SO4 for 20 ppm K. What kind of CO2 system do you have?
I have a paintball canister with a GLA solenoid. I use thrive to fertilize, and I have a micmol light. I did buy shrimp king Gh/kh to add to the water

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode