Phosphate question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Phosphate question

Well finally got my phosphate test kit and checked both my tanks that I have been struggling with GSA. Both tanks were about 1.0ppm (API test kit).

The GSA primarily grows on the plants. A little on the glass that takes a while to come back once cleaned. Probably going to be losing some of my plants I have a feeling.

Anyhow wanted to try and raise phosphate levels some to see if that would help. What does everyone recommend for doing this? Are there local sources for a way to do it?

I currently dose thrive once a week and have shrimps in both my tanks. Picked up some flourish but it has less phosphates then the thrive does if I am reading the ingredients/percentages correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Almost forgot water parameters are GH 5, KH 4, PH 8.0, Ammone/nitrates 0, nitrates about 15-20 (comes out of well at 5-10). Thats about all I can test for. Also does Purigen remove phosphates? I have a bag in each of my tank filters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), which you can get from NilocG. This site will help you determine how much to dose: Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

Purigen will NOT remove phosphates.

Looks like you are not injecting CO2, which could be a problem if your lights are to strong. If you can find the PAR at the substrate for your lights, we might be able to guide you some more. Also,keeping a clean tank and filter helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), which you can get from NilocG. This site will help you determine how much to dose: Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator
Another option is to purchase a Seachem flourish phosphate bottle. This bottle only contains phosphate water solution. So then all you have to do is to just follow the directions on the bottle to increase the PO4 levels by a known amount.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post

Purigen will NOT remove phosphates.

Looks like you are not injecting CO2, which could be a problem if your lights are to strong. If you can find the PAR at the substrate for your lights, we might be able to guide you some more. Also,keeping a clean tank and filter helps.

Your correct no CO2. No PAR meter. I went thru other cycles of algae however thats all in check now except for a little bit of the long string algae on a few leaves that are heavy coated with GSA which Im sure is due to the leaves starting to severely suffer.

I do water changes 30% or so every week and change out the fine fiber in my AQ110 at that time. I rinse out the bio media and the two other sponges every 2 to 3 weeks but rotate which ones I do. I also rinse the course intake sponge about every other change depending how dirty it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Another option is to purchase a Seachem flourish phosphate bottle. This bottle only contains phosphate water solution. So then all you have to do is to just follow the directions on the bottle to increase the PO4 levels by a known amount.

Thanks both of you for the suggestions on the ferts. Ill pick up or order some and maybe cut back on the lighting some as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode