Curious about water parameters in a new 75g - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Curious about water parameters in a new 75g

I planted and filled a 75g with water on June 19. Did a 15% water change on June 23. There are no fish in the tank.

I used eco complete for the planted area and sand on the other areas. I have mostly rhizome plants in the tank, but some stems and Xmas moss that I’ve added in periodically over the 9 days. I’m using easy green liquid fert (dosed twice now) and have root tabs in the substrate.

For filtration I have a ziss bubbler and a large sponge filter.

I also have a aqueon 950 for circulation, which is positioned so that all the plants are gently swaying.

I haven’t added the heater in yet and my house is kept at about 71 degrees.

I’ve added maybe a quarter of a bottle of Dr Tim’s One and Only BB, one time.

pH 8.2
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Niraite 20.0 ppm (or maybe 10? It’s hard to tell the difference between 10 and 20)

I haven’t tested the other tests like kH and whatnot.

I do have some plant melting going on a bit, but not a ton. I figured that’s what the ammonia is from and maybe the eco complete?

Anyways... wondering why my nitrates are up like that. The tank can’t be cycled in 9 days.

I’ve seen tank water test at zero nitrates before and I know there is none in my tap water. No ammonia in my tap water either.

Pardon the dirty glass and the Buce I’m floating because I haven’t gotten a chance to place in the scape. 😛
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA26F193-0432-4A64-874F-A7597CF63A10_1561691687572.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	883445  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridescent View Post
Iím using easy green liquid fert (dosed twice now) and have root tabs in the substrate.

Anyways... wondering why my nitrates are up like that. The tank canít be cycled in 9 days.

You're adding nitrates via the fertilizers.
[email protected] likes this.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

Your Nitrates are probably from fertilizers. Don't let them go over 40PPM or you'll say hello to algae.

Also, what's up with the PH, isn't 8.2 a bit too hard?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Reading between the lines, I might ask what the plan?
Understand that the tank will "cycle" but only to the point that it may grow enough bacteria to handle the load at the time, not necessarily be up to adding a load of fish, though.
No problem doing it this way as long as you do understand that it will not be ready for a full house of fish. Not doing a fishless cycle is okay but it does tend to be a bit risky on fish damage and take a long time to get the tank up to being fully stocked.
But how we each operate on stocking, water changes, etc. is always a factor.
When I have a big new tank, I want to get it up and running ASAP!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Your Nitrates are probably from fertilizers. Don't let them go over 40PPM or you'll say hello to algae.

Also, what's up with the PH, isn't 8.2 a bit too hard?
Ohhhhhhhhhh, gotcha! I had no idea about the fertilizer. Totally explains it. Thank you 🙂

Also, my water comes out of the tap at a pH of 8.0. It definitely is too hard. I’ve been reading up on what to do about it naturally. I was thinking of going the catappa leaf litter or peat moss route, by slowly adding until I’m in the 7.0-7.5 range.

Looking for suggestions for that as well if anyone has experience!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

Also, my water comes out of the tap at a pH of 8.0. It definitely is too hard. I’ve been reading up on what to do about it naturally. I was thinking of going the catappa leaf litter or peat moss route, by slowly adding until I’m in the 7.0-7.5 range.

Considering how hard your water is it would be best for you to just setup your tank with hard water inhabitants and plants. Otherwise you will be chasing the PH train forever. Just get hard water fish and make sure you have plants that can tolerate your PH levels.

Or, if you still want to lower the PH of your water there are some ways but they are not cheap like Reverse Osmosis filtration. Injecting CO2 might help some but this aslo depends on your water's KH.

Do you have a GH & KH test kit?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Reading between the lines, I might ask what the plan?
Understand that the tank will "cycle" but only to the point that it may grow enough bacteria to handle the load at the time, not necessarily be up to adding a load of fish, though.
No problem doing it this way as long as you do understand that it will not be ready for a full house of fish. Not doing a fishless cycle is okay but it does tend to be a bit risky on fish damage and take a long time to get the tank up to being fully stocked.
But how we each operate on stocking, water changes, etc. is always a factor.
When I have a big new tank, I want to get it up and running ASAP!
Legit question! I’m going on vacation for 10 days mid July so I thought I’d try to get the tank established with some plant life and then begin to add a small amount of fish very slowly over time beginning when I get back. I’m actually more excited about the plant life than the fish at this point. I’m in no rush to fully stock quickly. 🙂
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like a good plan to me!!
Never certain when I should question as there are many folks who do get the idea but then if they don't, I hate to let them walk into that trap! The cycle has many ways to go and none are bad if we have in mind what we need to do. Carry on and enjoy the vacation?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:

Also, my water comes out of the tap at a pH of 8.0. It definitely is too hard. Iíve been reading up on what to do about it naturally. I was thinking of going the catappa leaf litter or peat moss route, by slowly adding until Iím in the 7.0-7.5 range.

Considering how hard your water is it would be best for you to just setup your tank with hard water inhabitants and plants. Otherwise you will be chasing the PH train forever. Just get hard water fish and make sure you have plants that can tolerate your PH levels.

Or, if you still want to lower the PH of your water there are some ways but they are not cheap like Reverse Osmosis filtration. Injecting CO2 might help some but this aslo depends on your water's KH.

Do you have a GH & KH test kit?
I only have GH and KH test strips (which Iíve read are unreliable, ordered the liquid kit tonight) and tonight I tested tank and tap water and KH was 10.1 dKH and GH was 10.8 dGH.

I will definitely be researching hard water fish and asking my LFS what their ph and whatnot is. I want a decent sized school of smaller fish (recommendations to look at appreciated) and maybe shrimp or cory for the bottom dwelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me!!
Never certain when I should question as there are many folks who do get the idea but then if they don't, I hate to let them walk into that trap! The cycle has many ways to go and none are bad if we have in mind what we need to do. Carry on and enjoy the vacation?
Iím going to try and enjoy vacation as much as possible! Thank you!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-29-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had a similar situation when I first set up my tank and had to leave for a week. Just in case algae starts while you're away, you might consider putting in a few snails and/or cheap hardy shrimp like ghost shrimp to help keep any algae from getting out of control. They might also help create a small bioload to keep your cycle going since you won't be there to add ammonia or fertilizers. And don't leave your lights on too long to start--I learned that the hard way.

As for small fish for hard water; Endlers are beautiful & easy, and old-fashioned pearl danios look beautiful in a big school. Looking forward to seeing how your tank turns out
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My thoughts on test strips is often not what I read from other folks but I still like them for what they do. Not for everything like when I might want a really accurate number to go by but they do have several major advantages, in my case.
Step one is deciding what we want from a test. I am often in a situation where I am not looking for an exact hobby level answer like a liquid test might give but looking more for a trend.
Most of the time, I am not concerned with whether my GH is 150 or 200 PPM but just if it is staying the same. About all I really want to know on PH?GH/KH is which side of neutral it's on and if it is the same as the last time I tested and that has to involve how long it's been since I tested.
So part of the answer has to be knowing yourself since a super accurate but hobby level test is still not going to be any value if you don't DO the test because it takes too much time/effort/attention.
I stick a 5-1 strip in, look that it's the same, and move on. If it looks "off", then is a good time to look for more specific answers and causes. I feel a test which may be .4 off is still way more info than a test not taken at all!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode