Fertilizer seachem Flourish - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizer seachem Flourish

I am currently dosing a total of .5ml of Flourish split throughout the week. .2 ml, .2ml, and then .1ml. Dosing Excel .5ml daily.

Plant growth has seem to slow down and I am getting a ton of hair algae. Should I be using any additional fertilizer? What is the next most important I should try?

Also using Flourish root tabs in eco complete substrate. Light is on for 6 hours a day in split photoperiod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenth View Post
I am currently dosing a total of .5ml of Flourish split throughout the week. .2 ml, .2ml, and then .1ml. Dosing Excel .5ml daily.

Plant growth has seem to slow down and I am getting a ton of hair algae. Should I be using any additional fertilizer? What is the next most important I should try?

Also using Flourish root tabs in eco complete substrate. Light is on for 6 hours a day in split photoperiod.
Knowing very little about the tank and water parameters?
Flourish comprehensive and flourish root tabs are only providing micros.
Macro ferts are needed too. N,P, & K are missing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Kh 3-4
Gh 5

Doesn't Flourish have a decent amount of potassium? I wouldn't say my tank is not very heavily planted at the moment.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenth View Post
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Kh 3-4
Gh 5

Doesn't Flourish have a decent amount of potassium? I wouldn't say my tank is very heavily planted at the moment.
Flourish has potassium bottle available and a phosphate.
20ppm of NO3 seems fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I ordered some Potassium and phosphorus to go along with the Flourish and Excel. We will see how it goes.

I just ordered some nitrogen as well. My water is now at 0ppm nitrates.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-23-2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So your tank went from 20ppm to 0ppm nitrate in one day? I’d say shake your reagent bottle really well for a minute and run test again. 20ppm of nitrate just doesn’t vanish over night in a lightly planted tank.

Also one big piece of info still missing as far as dosing. Water volume? Not only tank size but actual rough estimate of actual water volume contained in tank subtracting for gravel and ornament displacement.

Also actual types of plants in tank can be big factor in how much you need to dose so a list of plants you’ve got can help a lot.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
So your tank went from 20ppm to 0ppm nitrate in one day? I’d say shake your reagent bottle really well for a minute and run test again. 20ppm of nitrate just doesn’t vanish over night in a lightly planted tank.

Also one big piece of info still missing as far as dosing. Water volume? Not only tank size but actual rough estimate of actual water volume contained in tank subtracting for gravel and ornament displacement.

Also actual types of plants in tank can be big factor in how much you need to dose so a list of plants you’ve got can help a lot.
It was my fault for assuming nitrate was still around what I last tested it at. Those were the numbers from a week or so ago. The tank has a pretty low bio load. Three endlers and one amano shrimp. I think due to the low bio load, water changes, and plants nitrates have dropped.

Tank is 5.6 gallons and I would say maybe subtract the .6 for substrate.

Plants are:
Rotala Indica
Crypt parva: only one. Most of it melted
Anubias Nana petite x2
Buce
Marsilea Hirsuta: most of it has died off
Christmas Moss
Crypt Beckettii

Any experience with dosing seachem nitrogen? The directions are a little confusing. It states that half of the nitrogen in the product is from nitrate and to estimate nitrogen levels you double nitrate?

Thank you!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The nitrogen solution is comprised of potassium nitrate which your test kit can read and other compound is urea which is more similar to ammonia which your nit. test can’t read, that’s what their talking about when they say double it. It’s giving you a rough estimate of total nitrogen available in tank.

Anyway as I see this is what went down. You started dosing Fluorish which has no nitrate/phosphate, your source of those two compounds was feeding/fish waste, your plants had all they needed, the complete food group plants need for a while but now the minimal amounts of nit/phos waste provided is now depleted and just feeding your fish can’t keep up with plants needs. So without those major macro nutrients your plants have stalled and algae is getting upper hand.

Cut fluorish down to .4ml a week which is dose for the actual 5gal water your tank contains, the smaller the tank the more important it is to dose on actual volume of water contained in tank. Then target getting phos up to around 1’’ish ppm and nitrate at this point shoot for 8ppm, no more than 10 and figure out a dosing scheme to keep them there.

Your parva melted so it’s uptake is focused on pulling nutrients from substrate, unless it main stem has died it will be back in about a month, it’s what they do. MH is probably transitioning to submerged form so hopefully it will be back but right now it not uptaking any nutrient from water column either. Watch your rotala it will be quickest to respond to getting a balance in ferts in water. Don’t change your lighting, make these nutrient changes and observe tank and monitor levels every few days. Keep dosing on a even keel and see what result is. If you go changing a bunch of things you don’t no which one fixed problem.

Also what substrate, how deep is it and what filtration are you using? Also how much and how often are you changing water? How are you prepping water before change? RO or tap?
Jenth likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Also what substrate, how deep is it and what filtration are you using? Also how much and how often are you changing water? How are you prepping water before change? RO or tap?
I think you are spot on! My tank had some nitrates from cycling when adding pure ammonia. I then added fish and they were not producing enough bio load and the plants used up what was available.

I am using eco-complete which doesn't have any ferts so I have a few Flourish root tabs in the substrate. It is about an 1-2 inches deep and then sloped higher on one side (about 4 inches deep). Water changes every five days using tap water and seachem prime.

Filtration is the stock Fluval spec V sponge filter and pump.

I have a phosphate test and will start dosing that. Although I am unable to locate a potassium test. Should I dose enough weekly to get around 10ppm? Without knowing my levels and setting it at zero, seachem suggests dosing 4.2ml to get it to 10 ppm.

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it!

Last edited by Jenth; 06-25-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode